Bacon grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
How long is bacon grease good for? I have seen many recipes asking for bacon grease, including one I want to make for my dog treats.

I have a jar I pour my grease into. Once it's full, I toss it. I'm assuming it's no good (probably close to a year old).

Any idea how long bacon grease would be good for? Thanks!!

Question: do you keep it in the fridge? If so, it will last indefinately. If you leave it sitting out, it gets rancid very fast. I have a one pint container in the fridge into which I scrape the cooled bacon fat.

No, it's not in the fridge. THANK YOU though, I will keep one in the fridge for cooking and one out for tossing!!!

Angie, when you get a full jar in the fridge; put a lid on it and freeze it!!!! I do that all the time and it will last a very long time there. Of course in this house, it doesn't !!

This is what empty coffee cans are for. Store your grease in the fridge for use.

Use another empty can for the other kinds of kitchen grease (I keep mine under the sink). When it's full, stick it in the freezer the night before the garbage is to go out and then chuck it in the trash in the morning. Keeps critters from turning over your can during the night.

greese I'm gonna toss I put in a soup or coffee can, but greese I'm keeping in the fridge for use I keep in a small clean canister. just my choice I guess. I also skim it to get the bits out (not good in all recipes) thru a couple layers of cheese cloth.

advoca, any recipe that begins with "render some bacon" is actually cooking with bacon grease or fat.

many western dishes get a depth of flavor with the use of salty or smokey (or even maple cured) bacon as the base ingredient.

animal fats are the basis for many cuisines. Much or western Europe uses pork and duck fats, with goose and chicken fats being a close second. Chicken fat is essential to Jewish cuisine. Several famous dishes also use beef fat...yorkshire pudding for one. Before some folks cringe, remember that butter and cheese are animal fats. Also remember, that as far nutrition goes, a variety of fats used in cooking is healthier than reliance on only one, and hydrogenated fats (crisco, margerine, etc...even commercial peanut butter) has all those nasty free radicals now known to be so bad for us.

Seasoning using bacon grease is the way to make Pinto Beans & turnip greens taste like MIL's and make DH happy. . . . Even though one of the first things the nutritionist said was 'throw away that grease can on the stove'! Glenda

Last edited:
spdrdr said:
Seasoning using bacon grease is the way to make Pinto Beans & turnip greens taste like MIL's and make DH happy. . . . Even though one of the first things the nutritionist said was 'throw away that grease can on the stove'! Glenda
It amazes me when a nutritionist says that..I wonder if they think we cook every blesses thing we eat with bacon grease?? Do you suppose they think, we, open the can take a spoon and just dig in?? I so want to ask one of them that:ROFLMAO:

kadesma:)

My MIL starts off all her roasts with a dollop of grease from previous roasts. I used to do this too, but stopped years ago. Maybe I'll start up that practise again. I used to keep a stoneware jar in the fridge for that purpose. BTW, Hi Kadesma ;)

Here I am again....
I've not understood....
Do You really use only the red part of bacon? And divide it?
Why?
In every way, I can give you a suggestion.
Add it to a soup, whatever kind.
Ham bones, grease and parmisan crusts are the benediction of a soup......
Or use it to wind up truits or pheasant breasts...or, again, eat with some nuts and honey....

Last edited:
mudbug said:
you are a wise man, RDG, and I love the poetic way you have explained it.
I have been wise.....many years ago. Actually, I try not to be: it's more amusing.....:LOL: :LOL:

Ummmmm......I love using bacon grease in my skillet beans (Baked Beans) and in Green Beans with chopped onion and S & P.

I'm going to give away a family secret, that is probably not so secret....

Bacon grease (from American bacon) is the KEY to the best sausage gravy with biscuits. Fry up the sausage (sweet italian, preferred), but drain off the fat and use bacon grease to make the gravy.

Divine!!!!!!

Bacon Grease

Hi Angie:

this is Bigjim, I can`t tell you how long to keep bacon grease because I use
mine up to fast that it is always fresh. I put it in my biscuits, which is about
4-5 times a week. I also put it in when cooking pasta in the salted water.
And I don`t know if you make any soul food. there is all kinds of ways to
use it. I buy the bacon that has black pepper on it like pastrami. the only
two ways that I won`t use bacon grease and that is in pie crusts and in
my ice cream.....talk to you later...take care and God bless....

Back
Top Bottom