Bacon-wrapped Pork Loin Roast...hmm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VaporTrail

Senior Cook
Ok... I saw a couple of recipies that gave me this idea, but I'm not sure how well this will work. Looking for input.

Planned on lightly coating the roast with mustard (possibly honey mustard), dusting with a little dried thyme, then wrapping it with bacon. Once wrapped, another coating of mustard, with some rosemary.

So, anyone have any ideas to further this endeavor? Or spot any problems with what I've got?

Don't know that you need the second layer of mustard personally. Might want to sear it before roasting. Not sure about seasonings with it as I don't eat pork but otherwise it sounds good. Make sure you stick some veges in the pan with it to absorb all those juices. Yum. (well in theory of the roast aspect...)

Well, I've made a "super sized" version of a bacon wrapped sausage appatizer (as an actual dish, rather than an appetizer) and that calls for the bacon to be in coated in brown sugar, but alot of the sugar winds up in the dripping pan rather than on my bacon (though there's still enough on the bacon). I was kinda wondering if the mustard would wind up in the pan rather than on the roast.

Hmm... I think I'll still double coat it... if it stays, good, if it doesn't no big loss. Though I'm gonna put the Rosemary inside with the thyme.

Hmm... perhaps if I spent a little time with a toothpick, I could insert the rosemary into the meat itself...

How about this: poke holes in the roast with a toothpick, insert rosemary. Sear the roast, then coat with mustard and thyme (maybe a little seasoned salt). Wrap in bacon, coat again with mustard, and roast.

Last edited:
I would put some caraway seeds in with the mustard. Those two flavors work so well together, it really surprised me how well.

Couldn't you use the actual woody sprigs of rosemary as the toothpick, like you do with kebabs? You could use the sprigs to hold the bacon in place.

I would still only put the mustard on the inside of the bacon, even if you doubled it. When I bake my ham, I use a honey, mustard and cranberry glaze, which I can say does not completely end up in the pan. The flavour is quite noticable in the meat. I do baste a couple of times through the cooking though. How does the unadulterated mustard bake? Does it form a mustard crust on the meat if you double coat it? I have ever only used mustard in a basting or marinating mix for roasting.

The only other time I used mustard on a roast (which was soon after joining DC) it worked pretty well. It crisped up and formed a crust, and was a noticeable flavor, but not overpowering. I'm not a big mustard fan, (in fact I rarely use it as a condiment) but as an ingredient in other things (such as that roast) it can come out fairly nice.

I would use the rosemary stems as toothpicks... but my use of fresh herbs is rare. It's not that I don't want to, is just that I seldom cook enough to use even a small bunch of herbs completely before they wind up unusable. Between that and lacking anywhere to dry them buying dried herbs is basically where I'm stuck.

I saw something on TV once, that I might try if I ever get the space and spare cash (in other words, win the lotto) called the Aero Garden... Basically allowing you to grow fresh herbs hydroponically on your countertop. Kinda like a fresh herb spice-rack.

Might pick up some caraway seeds... don't think I have those yet, and I'm slowly expanding my spice collection.

Ok... I saw a couple of recipies that gave me this idea, but I'm not sure how well this will work. Looking for input.

Planned on lightly coating the roast with mustard (possibly honey mustard), dusting with a little dried thyme, then wrapping it with bacon. Once wrapped, another coating of mustard, with some rosemary.

So, anyone have any ideas to further this endeavor? Or spot any problems with what I've got?

Welcome to DC, VaporTrail. Funny you should mention honey/mustard pork loin. Just watched a new show called Hot Guys That Cook, on cable, (who writes this stuff? haha); & one of the dishes was a honey/mustard pork loin - but no bacon. The dish looked great - served with cored apples and potatoes, thyme & garlic. Sure you could incorporate bacon in there somewhere. Here's a look:

Vote Now for Today's Hot Dish! - mystyle.com

Last edited:
I would use the rosemary stems as toothpicks... but my use of fresh herbs is rare. It's not that I don't want to, is just that I seldom cook enough to use even a small bunch of herbs completely before they wind up unusable. Between that and lacking anywhere to dry them buying dried herbs is basically where I'm stuck.
When you buy fresh herbs and can't use them all, just dry them in your oven. Put the oven on to its lowest setting until it is around that temp. Then turn it off. Wash your herbs, pat dry with kitchen paper, but a little moisture can remain, spread them over a biscuit tray or similar, stick the tray on the top shelp in your cooling oven for a few minutes and then you have some home-dried herbs without having them lying around the house.

You can also freeze several herbs to use later in dishes like soups where their appearance is not crucial. You don't need to defrost before inclusion in the dish.

You can also put leftover herbs in either vinegar or oil to give them an added zing.

Or whip them thru some softened butter for topping on a steak or for a herbed bread.

Just a few ideas to help you when you buy the herbs again.

Well, I made it. Brined it using an orange brine I found on here (search for Alton Brown in this forum, then a thread named "Brine" to find it).

Then I managed to do two sections. Both got honey mustard, herbs and bacon. One gotan extra coating of mustard on the outside of the bacon.

No real change in taste, but the mustard coated bacon one got a lot darker than the one without mustard outside. Taste was all right, but not spectacular.

So do you mean the taste was just okay in both, or just the double mustard? Maybe you need some fruit with the pork, apple, cranberries, more orange... as a counterpoint to the mustard? Shame it didn't go as you had hoped. Bummer when that happens. I cooked a dish tonight that needed something extra but I can't put my finger on what it is. Got a lot of leftovers so I have plenty of goes to work it out!! LOL

Both tasted pretty much the same. The only real difference between the two was color.

Interesting side note: I sliced part of one of them and vac-packed it while still warm. Stuck it in the fridge. Hauled it out last night because I didn't want to do anything requiring work...

Nuked it (straight from fridge to microwave, no opening package) to the point where the seal-a-meal bag opened on it's own (5 minutes on med-high I think). Somehow it tasted even better than it had when it went into the fridge. Served with canned green beans.

Wonder if the rest of it will taste that good.

Welcome to DC, VaporTrail. Funny you should mention honey/mustard pork loin. Just watched a new show called Hot Guys That Cook, on cable, (who writes this stuff? haha); & one of the dishes was a honey/mustard pork loin - but no bacon. The dish looked great - served with cored apples and potatoes, thyme & garlic. Sure you could incorporate bacon in there somewhere. Here's a look:

amy, thanks for the link. did you notice it said to bake only 15-20 minutes? Is this right? seems would be longer than that.

LOL I was trolling around looking for a easy tasty way to cook a pork roast tonight and this from the most ridiculous source is what I come across that seems to work...

so here is the recipe from the above site :rolleyes: which seems so silly and vapid but it works beause it looks easy and involves ingredients I have on hand and was intending to use.

anybody got anything to add? If it works out maybe I need to unbutton my collar a few and invite over some ladies from the neighborhood;)

Reposted from mystyle:

Honey Mustard Pork Loin
Pork loin
Pepper
Salt
Garlic
Thyme
Honey
Mustard
2 apples
3 potatoes
Olive oil

Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place meat in pan and cut crisscross slits into the meat. Spread mustard and honey over the top of the meat, making sure it gets into the slits. Core apples and add to pan. Slice potatoes, leaving the skin on, and place next to meat. Pour olive oil over potatoes, making sure to completely cover them. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

Sounds good.. I am not sure there is a bad way to cook a pork loin.

I like dry roasting them on a rack. Season well, cover loosely with foil and roast away...

Thanks Jeff

a few questions:chef:

Should I brown the roast (after or before the rub?)

ideal internal temp? I have seen a range 140-170... at what reading should I pull it out so that it is still juicy

The 375 oven temp? seems low for the cooking time of 20 min sounds live TV magid maybe 20 min per pound?

I assume I need to slice the taters thin 1/4" or so for them to cook in the timeframe given?

Apply the rub first.

As far as doneness, (I'm sure I'll hear it from some folks) I like pork slightly pink inside. 150 F then remove and tent.

Edit: Wait, on the recipe you posted, I don't think they brown the meat. You could add salt, pepper, and dried herbs the slightly brown and continue with the recipe.

Last edited:
no they don't say to brown it but I sort of figure it was left out to make it seem easier and browning seemed like a good iedea

thanks for the advise sounds on point. Ill brown then add the honey

I like it pink too but I am more fearless than most I have an iron stomach

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom