Baked or grilled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Which is healthest?
Any ideas on a rub or marinade or something for flavor to put on boneless butterfly pork chops?
With everything going on, I have to start watching everything I do and eat. Once I get with the Cardiologist, I can get a list of things from him, but, until then, I need an idea for the chops.

I bought them butterflied. And they are thick too. I just grabbed them because they were on sale.

I guess I don't buy pork chops enough! lol They don't have just a pocket right? They are truly butterflied? If you say they are butterflied then I won't go into a long drawn out stuffing/filling for them.

Nope, no pocket. I could still do the stuffing, I could fold them back over and hold them together with toothpicks, right?
I like the horseradish crust looks really good. I don't know if dh will like it or not, but I sure would :eek:)

texasgirl said:
Nope, no pocket. I could still do the stuffing, I could fold them back over and hold them together with toothpicks, right?...

You sure could. I think that's why they sell them butterflied.

Also, keep in mind that pork is considered a very lean meat if you stick with loin and tenderloin cuts.

cheep pork

If the only reason you got them is because there on sale then why not just buy a pork loin? you will save about 1.00 a pound and you can cut them the way you want..butterfly, american, waifer, what ever...

Tater

texasgirl said:
Which is healthest?
Any ideas on a rub or marinade or something for flavor to put on boneless butterfly pork chops?
With everything going on, I have to start watching everything I do and eat. Once I get with the Cardiologist, I can get a list of things from him, but, until then, I need an idea for the chops.

If your refering to too much fat in your diet then I would recommend smaller portions of protein.Either method is fine
but on the grill with a little smoke from apple wood is nice.

Tater Tot said:
If the only reason you got them is because there on sale then why not just buy a pork loin? you will save about 1.00 a pound and you can cut them the way you want..butterfly, american, waifer, what ever...

Tater

Actually, I've wanted to get them, but, they are always too expensive to get. This is the first time that I have caught them on sale. We get tenderloin all the time and wanted a change.:)

I like to put them in the crockpot with a pkt of onion soup mix and a can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup. They get so tender you can cut them with a fork.

Ok I have to ask...whats it mean when they are butterflied? Ive never heard of it, nad I dont buy meat, it comes to me from my dads basement butcher shop....regular cuts, nothting fancy....can someone explain please?

It's just that it's cut down the side so that it looks mirrored. Like a pita pocket, but opened all the way instead of leaving a pocket.

Cut you a pice of pork loin to the thickness X2 of what you want your chop to be. Then slice that chop again almost (but not all the way) all the way and open it like a butterfly opening its wings..

Tater tot

pick up a bottle of lite italian dressing at the grocery store, any brand will do, dump meat and dressing into a ziplock bag and marinate overnite or a day or two in the fridge, then grill-delicious!! I do this all the time with pork and boneless chicken breasts. Tasty and healthy.

Yep - what the above people have said. You can take any piece of meat and cut it in half but NOT all the way through. Lay it flat and pound out the middle to be as thin as the rest. It's a great way to get meat done if you want it more done than what cooking it unbutterflied calls for.

I love a nice filet mignon cooked extremely rare. My Mom could only eat well done. She would have the "butterfly" it to cook it more well done without burning it to death to get it MORE done in the middle quicker.

Hi texasgirl,

You didn't specify whether you wanted a spicy or hot or sweet or zesty type of rub or marinade.

for rubs, any mixture of the following would do nice.

paprika, sweet or hot
salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
garlic powder
garlic salt
onion powder
sugar
brown sugar
chili powder
crushed red pepper
ginger

other spices that you have to go easy with that can be mixed in:

sage
thyme
nutmeg
cumin
celery seed or salt
turmeric
ground or fresh lemon zest
ground or fresh orange zest

I would suggest you be creative and experiment, find a custom blend and make a jar of it up or write it down so you don't forget :chef:

As far as marinades go:

a nice italian dressing as mentioned above..I've found my personal favorite to be Wishbone's Robusto Italian dressing..out of this world flavor for chicken or pork.

sometimes, depending on the stores you visit, you may find a specialty marinade. I'v used a couple, I've had a creamy maui onion marinade that was excellent on pork.

something a bit more spicy? Try mixing hot sauce and honey together for a marinade.

Just some ideas for you to think about and get the cooking juices going :)

Chris

Once I tasted a brined pork chop, I don't think I'd make it any other way. Juicy Juicy even when cooked well done.

You can brine, then put on a rub, then grill. That's the way I usually do it.

But here are some other Brining Ideas/Recipes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom