Barbecue Pork Spareribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philrob

Assistant Cook
Tried a rack of Pork Spareribs on gas grill, cooked on indirect, medium heat. Cooked with bone side down for 2 hours. Membrane on bone side was removed prior to cooking. Meat was tough and difficult to remove from bones. Have seen recipes that called for 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours of cooking time on medium heat. Any secrets? Thanks.

Phil, I can't help you with the ribs, We do have some great grill masters here.I am sure one of them will be along shortly and help you, I wanted to Welcome you to DC.

Josie

Without more details it is difficult to figure this out. Did you use any moisture at all in the cooking process? And how exactly do you mean indirect heat on gas grill?

Typically with ribs, you want the meat temperature to come up to about 190 to 215 degrees F. A properly applied dry rub will help hold in the juices. But as the others have said, to really nail this question, we need more information.

Next time, use the grill to give your ribs that great flavor that everyone loves, then, cut the ribs into manageable sections and place in the pressure cooker for about 25 minutes. I guarantee that they will be tender then.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Tried a rack of Pork Spareribs on gas grill, cooked on indirect, medium heat. Cooked with bone side down for 2 hours. Membrane on bone side was removed prior to cooking. Meat was tough and difficult to remove from bones. Have seen recipes that called for 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours of cooking time on medium heat. Any secrets? Thanks.
Rib master here to help you Phil.

2 hours is no where near enough time to cook them properly Phil, You will need 4-6 hours total on an indirect method setup.

First set up you're gas grill like you did, make sure it reads 250.f - 275.f put some SOAKED wood chips into a foil pouch with holes in it. ( tiny holes )

Now set the ribs with the dry rub on the grill first for 3 hours on the in direct side.

As soon as the 3 hours is up, Take the Ribs and foil them with a cup of Apple juice.

Put the ribs on the grill meat side down in the foil for 2 hours.

As soon as the 2 hours is up, take the ribs out of the foil,

and back on the grill for an hour. While on the grill you can sauce it, mop it. spritz it.

More on that later.

I hope that helps Phil.

Last edited:
Phil heres the baby back ribs with some of the method I told you about, but the times is a bit different.

Old ribs from an old comp.
DSC00449.JPG

My spare ribs from the Sam's club comp.
DSC04022.JPG

&
DSC04024.JPG

Indirect heat cooking with a potato thermo trick.
DSC04019.JPG

Sounds like somebody has been reading my posts... "rib master"...

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah, what he said, except I don't soak the chips.
And if you are doing loin back St Louis cut, or true baby backs, you needed one more hour to your time. About three hours total for those racks. Full racks with that vertical bone running through them take 5-6 hours.
On smaller racks I have been skipping foiling them in apple juice (ice tea works well, too) and they are still moist.
"Medium" tells us nothing. You need to go by temp so we are all on the same page. Everybody's grill is different. My knobs can vary quite a bit on my gasser to get my target temp, depending on the weather.

Sounds like somebody has been reading my posts... "rib master"...

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah, what he said, except I don't soak the chips.
And if you are doing loin back St Louis cut, or true baby backs, you needed one more hour to your time. About three hours total for those racks. Full racks with that vertical bone running through them take 5-6 hours.
On smaller racks I have been skipping foiling them in apple juice (ice tea works well, too) and they are still moist.
"Medium" tells us nothing. You need to go by temp so we are all on the same page. Everybody's grill is different. My knobs can vary quite a bit on my gasser to get my target temp, depending on the weather.
I cooked over 300 + Ribs in 1 and a half years to get good enough to do some pro vents.

It was a learning experience but a fun one for sure.

I've learned what weeping is, I've learn what I need to look for, feel for. ( yep I said feel )

It's all GOOD. :)

Excellent replies. By indirect cooking, I mean in center of grate not directly over flame. Understand what you say about use of temp vs just placing knob at medium, and need for additional time. Thanks for some great comments.

Most of todays gas grills are capable of indirect cooking, but I remember years ago there was one large burner shaped like a sideways "H" on a lot of grills. Maybe that is what mycrummyapt was thinking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom