BBQ ribs oven-style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Let me start by saying that I just love this forum. Quick, great answers to cooking questions.

I would like to make bbq ribs using my oven. It's too cold for anything outside. So how would I go about this? I have my rub and sauce just need the technique. Oven temps, time.

Thanks.

How about set your rubbed ribs on a pan...Set your oven at 225*....and pop in the oven.
Pull them when they reach 190* or so. When they get close to the 190* apply your sauce. If you want to you could baste them along the way.....Hope this will help

I agree so with Uncle Bob, awesome - but if they are for tonight - you could do them at 350' for 1 1/2 hrs. But I do like the low and slow way better - good luck ! (Covered) !

Thanks Uncle Bob.

Would I cover them with foil?

Miss Elaine...Personally I don't think I would. Then again you could start with no foil....then you could wrap in foil for an hour or so...then take them back out of the foil to finish. This method is commonly used in competitive BBQ with blue ribbon results. I have used it successfully many times. However, agin I personally prefer the no foil method. Are these loin back (baby back) ribs or spare ribs? Just curious.

Season. 1 hour, wrapped in foil, 1 hour, uncovered and 1 hour with sauce, still uncovered in a 350 degree oven. They don't taste like they were done outside, but they still are good.

I've done them in the oven before in a glass lassagna pan covered with foil and with just a touch of water in the bottom. Around 300 for an hour. Then I remove the foil and brush on some sauce, flipping once. Again, still at 300 F for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. I go by looks and if the meat is starting to shrink back from the bone, which tells you you better hurry up and finish them. Then I hit them with sauce again and stick them under the broiler to give them that cooked outdoors look. If you really want to add that outdoors flavor to them, add 4-6 drops of liquid smoke to the water in the pan while they are covered.

Elaine, this recipe from Alton Brown describes a great technique for doing ribs in the oven. He uses a rub and a braising liquid. You can use his recipes or your vavorite rub etc.

Uncle Bob, These are not baby back.

Miss Elaine....

Not a problem, but they will take a little longer to cook. I still recommend low temperature (225*) until 190* or so in the thickest portion. Basting every thirty minutes would be good. When you foil ribs, with or without addtional liquids added you are in effect braising/steaming. This can be done, and creates tender meat. It's just not a product/taste that I personally care for.
However; you could cook unwrapped for a couple of hours, then wrap for say an hour, and then finish them unwrapped adding the sauce towards the very end. When the meat pulls back from the bone between 1/4 to 1/2 inch they should be good to go. If they are not loin back (baby backs) then they are Spare Ribs! My personal favorite!! They are a little more challenging, but well worth the extra effort in time etc. The pay off for me is a superior taste/flavor, plus I like the texture of the meat better...Yum!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Okay Uncle Bob. I am going with your suggestions! Wish me luck!

Okay Uncle Bob. I am going with your suggestions! Wish me luck!

You will do just fine Miss Elaine...Shoot for the 190*+ temperature. Allow yourself plenty of time...Lets say 5 hours. It probably want take that long, but you don't want to be rushed to have dinner ready! If they finish ahead of time thats ok...just loosely "tent" with foil until it time to eat! In fact they will probably improve with a little rest time...

Enjoy!

I love them this way. I use a sauce made from ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, onion, tobasco--Kind of a sweet/sour thing with a little bite.

Just put the ribs on a rack, coat with the mixture and put in the oven. Cover and roast. Baste every so often.. Sometimes I will add pepperoni to the mix too. It also tastes great on Chicken.

Friend of mine that cooks at a local place (Not a BBQ joint) tells me they put them in large pans on racks with water beneath them. Wrap tightly in foil, pierce several times, then into a 250º oven for 60 – 75 minutes. When ordered they pop them under the broiler for a few minutes, sauce and serve. It’s not traditional BBQ but they sell a fair amount of them with no complaints.

I've used Alton's method several times, always come out great..I don't use his rub recipe exactly..but the method is perfect.

I would use Uncle Bob's ideas on previous post. He made some very good suggestions that will give you great ribs. All, I can add is to remember the golden rule of ribs: "Slow and Long" (cook at low temp for a long time).

Last edited:
I am going to make ribs again tomorrow. The came out great last time cooking them at 225 in the oven. What I don't remember is how long in took. I have one slab this time. I am thinking of serving them at lunch for a friend. Any guesses how long it will take?

Back
Top Bottom