Boneless PorkLoin Monster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I have a whole 9Lb 4oz frozen whole Pork Loin.
It was supposed to be cut up into roasts and chops, that didn't happen:ermm:

Does anyone know what I can do with this log?
I need to empty out that freezer. 9lbs is a bit much for me.

Thank you.
Munky.

Partially thaw it in the refrigerator then portion it into roast(s) and chops. wrap into meal-sized portions and back to the freezer. Doing it this way will minimize any quality loss.

Thank you very much for the suggestions Andy. :)
My concern was about refreezing the manageable roasts.

Now I have another question.
For the roasts can they be marinated or seasoned up and then frozen?
Defrosted and cooked in a crock pot when needed?

Munky.

I'd take the opportunity to brine some of the roasts or chops and do a taste comparison. I'm sold on brining all lean cuts of pork for superior results. My formula is simple..1/4 C. Kosher salt to 4 cups of water, depending on the thickness of the meat I let it soak in the fridge for 4-6 hours. For a 5 lb. roast, I'd brine it overnight.

We were typing at the same time Munky..the answer is yes. Frankly, a lean pork roast does better in the oven or on the barbecue than in a crockpot, but that's just me.

You might be interested in this Munky...https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f38/smoked-pork-loin-on-a-gas-grill-100836.html

Last edited:
I'd take the opportunity to brine some of the roasts or chops and do a taste comparison. I'm sold on brining all lean cuts of pork for superior results. My formula is simple..1/4 C. Kosher salt to 4 cups of water, depending on the thickness of the meat I let it soak in the fridge for 4-6 hours. For a 5 lb. roast, I'd brine it overnight.

Thank you Kayelle:)
I've never brined anything. Wow can you believe that?
Shocking!!! Indeed!:LOL:
So brine while partially frozen?

What I'm trying to do is figure out how to go about managing this monster that almost broke my foot this morning. Slippery thing!
What I also wanted to do is have a roast/chops already prepped so that I can send them down to my husband that would be easy for him to manage,cook frustration free. He only has one hand and can't stand stationary for long.
I'll do the work and weighing.

P.S.
I have several smokers and probes.
Thank you for the link. :)

Munky.

Last edited:
Partially thaw it in the refrigerator then portion it into roast(s) and chops. wrap into meal-sized portions and back to the freezer. Doing it this way will minimize any quality loss.

Especially if you wear disposable gloves for the job, less chance of contamination.

... I'm sold on brining all lean cuts of pork for superior results. My formula is simple..1/4 C. Kosher salt to 4 cups of water, depending on the thickness of the meat I let it soak in the fridge for 4-6 hours. For a 5 lb. roast, I'd brine it overnight.

..the answer is yes. Frankly, a lean pork roast does better in the oven or on the barbecue than in a crockpot, but that's just me. (and me!) ]

go ahead and season them before repackaging... but have everything at the ready before you even start, from seasonings to packaging. Your exception would be, of course, if you choose to brine your chops (which i do recommend). You will have your brine ready and cool, add your chops and brine in the fridge.
I would put a maximum 4/5 day's date on them to be used by unfrozen, and perhaps a months date from refrozen.

I just want to point out that the meat can be easier to slice while it is still partially frozen. It doesn't wiggle as much. OTOH, I'm not sure how hard or easy it is to estimate the right level of partially frozen with a chunk of meat that big.

good point taxy.

I'm guessing others would do this but just in case thought I would mention;

As you are letting the loin defrost, check both ends at the same time. You should be able to cut off your chops as you wish. Taking two chops at either end, depending on thickness, after a little more defrosting you should be able to cut the centre piece into two roasts.

... or something to that effect. :rolleyes:

good point taxy.

I'm guessing others would do this but just in case thought I would mention;

As you are letting the loin defrost, check both ends at the same time. You should be able to cut off your chops as you wish. Taking two chops at either end, depending on thickness, after a little more defrosting you should be able to cut the centre piece into two roasts.

... or something to that effect. :rolleyes:

I like that idea. I usually cut a few pieces that are bigger than chops but smaller than roasts. Then I can decide later if I want those for chops, chunks, or thin slices for schnitzel.

Especially if you wear disposable gloves for the job, less chance of contamination.
This is not an issue as long as the meat is frozen within a day or two after thawing. Any pathogens can't grow once the meat is frozen again.

I would put a maximum 4/5 day's date on them to be used by unfrozen, and perhaps a months date from refrozen.
Why?

I recommend dry brining (salting) instead of wet brining. It has the same moisture-retaining effect and, to me, wet brined food tastes like the flavor is diluted. It actually is diluted because the process draws some of the water it's in into the meat. Dry brining causes the meat to exude moisture, which dissolves the salt, and then the salted water is drawn back in.

This explains the process.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/how-to-dry-brine.html

This is not an issue as long as the meat is frozen within a day or two after thawing. Any pathogens can't grow once the meat is frozen again.

Somehow my reply to GG is included in the quote, the following insertion is by me (dragnlaw) not GG.
"I often take an almost cavalier approach to some jobs in the kitchen. However, there are some things it doesn't hurt to take an extra bit of caution with. I have often defrosted and refrozen meats. I have never had a problem but that being said most often it is NOT recommended to refreeze meats (& many other things as well). As we have no control over what someone else does in their kitchen with their foods - and if they are preparing it for another person who will have it in their kitchen and may or may not defrost it in a recommended way - why not take that little extra step. It can't hurt.

Yes, I'm also aware that alot of recommendations about not refreezing are because of the ice crystals that can form and change/affect the structure."

Why?
Why not? I think 4/5 days of raw meat in the fridge if not cooked within that time, especially if moist, can start to turn. A lot of our packaging comes with that recommendation on it with the suggestion of freezing if not used within then.
Dry storage/tenderizing of a beef roast, in the right conditions, I've done for up to 14 days. I know it can be done longer but personally :ermm: am just not comfortable with it. :LOL:

Freezing for the same reason as I mention above - the formation of ice crystals could change the texture of the meat. But all dates are entirely up to the individual - especially with the freezing.

These were just suggestions for Munky to pass on for her husband. She would know best what to tell him and how well he could follow them.

Last edited:
Well, again, if the meat is refrozen within a day or two, even if it was contaminated, the pathogens can't grow while it's frozen.

Why not? I think 4/5 days of raw meat in the fridge if not cooked within that time, especially if moist, can start to turn.
My question was why do you think refrozen meat should be used within a month. I wasn't referring to keeping raw meat.

Freezing for the same reason as I mention above - the formation of ice crystals could change the texture of the meat. But all dates are entirely up to the individual - especially with the freezing.
Once the ice crystals have formed, nothing much will change between one month in the freezer and two or three. That's why I was asking.

Well, again, if the meat is refrozen within a day or two, even if it was contaminated, the pathogens can't grow while it's frozen.

My question was why do you think refrozen meat should be used within a month. I wasn't referring to keeping raw meat.

Once the ice crystals have formed, nothing much will change between one month in the freezer and two or three. That's why I was asking.

a) I never suggested pathogens can't grow while it's frozen, I was suggesting that more pathogens could have been added that could possibly be a problem later. The less you handle and the sooner you refreeze ....

b) JMHO, less liable to forget something they've been told to try and use within a month. Two/three or six more... you'll suddenly find a freezer burn hunk of something you completely forgot about.

c) when ice crystal melt they leave a hole or pocket, so to speak. They don't necessarily fill with water again when refrozen so more chance of freezer burn. This not only changes texture but taste as well.

My comments/answers were geared to Munky prepping some meat for her husband. I'm not a scientist/nutritionist/nor any other expert, these are just MHO's to be taken for however individuals want to apply them.

Your comments are well taken but I still stand by mine. :flowers:

Take a good sized section (roast), find a pork belly large enough to wrap around the roast and make Porchetta!

Tarnation Craig!

looked up how to make Porchetta and fell down a rabbit hole in bon appetit for an hour!
porchetta - soup dumplings - christmas cookies!

Ibwould cook it low and slow. Then make a very large load of bread, add some bbq sauce and make a very large pork loin sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom