Boudain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've talked for years about making our own sausage just to control the salt content. Thanks for this link - it's a keeper. If you make it soon, we expect a report!

HB and I made venison sausage last year. We made brats in natural casings, bulk sweet Italian, and bulk hot Italian. It's very good, but we learned some things we want to do differently next time. For one thing, we should have added some fat-back, instead of just pork butt, as it turned out pretty dry. I also didn't like the pre-packaged seasoning mixes we bought. The hot Italian was way TOO hot, and both the Italian types had way to much fennel for my taste.
I've never had boudin, even when I lived in Louisiana, but I like most sausages, with the exception of blood sausage. There was an old Italian man who used to bring it to my grandfather when I was a little girl. They actually slit the throat of a chicken and let the blood drip into the filling. Waste not want not, I guess, but I'd much rather have some good homemade salomeats. Mmmm, talk about garlic!

Here are a couple of photos from our venture into sausage making. My husband borrowed the antique sausage stuffer from a friend, but we now have an extruder for our Kitchen Aid.

Attachments

• Venison brats.jpeg
    Venison brats.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 457
  • venison brats II.jpeg
    venison brats II.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 393
Back
Top Bottom