Carryover cooking in pork loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
A few weeks ago I made a pork loin roast, bone in, about 5 pounds. I cooked it at 375 until my probe thermometer read 135 and then pulled it out, placed it in another dish and covered with foil to rest. I left the thermometer in the meat during resting and saw that the temperature rose to the mid 150s. I hadn't brined the pork, and I found it quite dry. I was pretty surprised because every recipe I looked at said to take the meat out at 135 or 140, and that resting for 15 minutes would raise the temp by 5-10 degrees... not 20. I tested my thermometer in a glass of ice water and it came to 33 degrees, so it seems to be working okay.

I want to give it another try but it seems a little strange to take it out at 125 degrees.... I've never seen a recipe call for pork to be removed that low. I'm just afraid it would be undercooked then.

Any suggestions on how to get a properly cooked pork loin? Is 5 lb. too large to have an even cook throughout?

Five pounds is not too big of a roast.

Next time take it out at 135ºF and don't cover it with foil. Temp shouldn't go as high. You can also just let it rest and carve it when it reaches the temp you want.

A few weeks ago I made a pork loin roast, bone in, about 5 pounds. I cooked it at 375 until my probe thermometer read 135 and then pulled it out, placed it in another dish and covered with foil to rest. I left the thermometer in the meat during resting and saw that the temperature rose to the mid 150s. I hadn't brined the pork, and I found it quite dry. I was pretty surprised because every recipe I looked at said to take the meat out at 135 or 140, and that resting for 15 minutes would raise the temp by 5-10 degrees... not 20. I tested my thermometer in a glass of ice water and it came to 33 degrees, so it seems to be working okay.

I want to give it another try but it seems a little strange to take it out at 125 degrees.... I've never seen a recipe call for pork to be removed that low. I'm just afraid it would be undercooked then.

Any suggestions on how to get a properly cooked pork loin? Is 5 lb. too large to have an even cook throughout?

As Andy said, don't cover it with the foil. Also, that temperature rise is the result of the outer meat being hotter than the inner meat. All things in nature try to equalize. Their will be temperature change until everything is the same temperature. If you cooked that roast in a hot oven, like 400' or higher, there is a greater temperature difference than if you cooked it at 350. The hotter outside temperature meat will raise the inner temperature by more than will the lower outside meat temperature produced by a lower cooking temperature, if both roasts are the same size, and taken out at the same internal temperature.

Soooo, if you don't foil it, and cook it to 140 in a lower temperature oven, the inside temperature will be lower after the resting time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom