City Chicken pork smell ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
Anybody good with City Chicken? (Pork on a stick) How do I get that swiney or pork smell out of the meat? (I have seen "how do I get that fishy smell from fish") Last time I made City Chicken, I used pork tenderloin and it had a swine smell to it. It's not the first time I have had this either. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't and I cant figure out why.
Any suggestions?

Somebody posted a similar question re pork smells - anyone remember?

I've never encountered this; are you sure the pork was fresh? Had it been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days? Was it cryovac packaged? Was the smell before, during or after cooking?

The only thing I could suggest is maybe soaking it in milk for a while, to see if that removes any odor.

Yes, it was in the fridge for 24 hours. I took it out the day before to marinade it. Now that you mention it, this might be a common link (the fridge). Sometime I marinade it, sometime I dont. I did try the milk thing and it didnt work last time. What kind of milk would you suggest? I used whole milk (vit D).

to add to that, yes the pork is fresh, and not sure what cryovac is but vacuumed sealed maybe? that would be a no. standard grocery store stuff.

Any kind of milk is fine; yes, cryovac is vacuum sealed. What was the use by date on the pkg from the store? Did it sit in your fridge past the date? How is the temp in your fridge? If you removed the meat to marinate it, did you leave it sit out or re-refrigerate it immediately on getting it into the marinade?

As you can see, I'm really tending to go toward some sort of spoilage here, as I've never encountered that problem with pork.

Now, sometimes, any meat will have sort of a 'bloody' odor if it's been sitting at room temp - is that what you're talking about? Or is it even after the meat is cooked?

I think it's the meat blood you're smelling.
Try sprinkling the meat with lemon juice. I frequently do that to all kinds of meats...it takes away that slimy feeling, and doesn't really alter the taste of the meat, except to maybe give it a "fresher" taste.

:) If the Pork smells bad it is bad sometimes because you to need to rinse off blood as it can smell bad before meat also check the date on meat also some grocers will rewrap meat and put a new use by date.Other than that check your fridge maybe the tempurature is too high .Bottom line pork should not smell real bad.

friend of mine suggested soaking the meat in white vinager? what do you think?

also, you all mention the date on the meat. what am I looking for? a date that reflects past due? of a due date of the next day? what would be a good date?

yes, the meat was bloody. I washed it several times, but I remembered it was excessively bloody.

Ok Was it "Cryovac'ed"? Was it in a sealed plastic bag?...If yes then run it under cold running water and let it sit out in the air for about 10 minutes.. If it still smells bad then its gone a little gassy...it should still be good but will have an oder and taste slightly like the smell..Try to buy it one month before its sell by date "it would of just been cut" if you cannot then please shop somewhere else or get it fresh from a local butcher..

The smell and taste is normal for current ways of buying cryovac meat..Its not spoiled but its not the best way of getting it..If you gut it "fresh" in a tray pack or even from the butcher block then return it and never shop there again!! Fresh pork realy has almost NO Flavor (exept the liver wich is the beast thing in the world when fresh) Pork should be mild..Dont over cook and NEVER undercook..

With out knowing how you got it its hard to pin point the problem...

Tater Tot
(butcher since 19yr old)

jpmcgrew said:
:) the date on meat also some grocers will rewrap meat and put a new use by date.

If yours does that then shop somewhere else!! that is against the law. If it comes with a date then thats it date. If your store dated it too short then they are out of luck they can't change it. If they over date it then it dosen't matter - they can be closed down.

Last edited by a moderator:
vanwingen said:
friend of mine suggested soaking the meat in white vinager? what do you think?

also, you all mention the date on the meat. what am I looking for? a date that reflects past due? of a due date of the next day? what would be a good date?

yes, the meat was bloody. I washed it several times, but I remembered it was excessively bloody.

It probably was not blood - just meat juices. Look at it - was there was a lot (alot) of clearish pink liquid? It was probably a result of saline added to the pork. So there was a lot of liquid with the pork (most likly slimy)? Thats normal in todays pork tade - and if it sits too long or gets too hot it goes gassy....

Last edited by a moderator:
vanwingen said:
yes you are 100% correct. It was clear pinkish, and slimy.

What does "gassy" mean?

Tater Tot tried to answer your question but his ISP developed problems and his reply didn't post ... and he hasn't had time to get on and try again. But, he did call me and talked to me about this in the hope that I could pass the info on to you. So, here goes with my short interpretation of what he had to say in about a 30-minute conversation.

As meat goes through the process of decomposing it produces gasses, such as methane and amonia. When the meat is wrapped in plactic and held at temperatures below freezing the gasses are trapped inside and the meat will "pick up" those flavors and smells. The higher the storage temp, and the longer stored, the worse it will be. Although all meat goes through this process it seems that chicken and pork are worse about picking up these off flavors than beef.

One example he gave me, that I could relate to, is when you buy a "chub" (tube) of ground beef or pork sausage and it sits unopened in the fridge for a week .... when you pick up the tube it is tighter and harder than when I bought it ... the gas is blowing it up like a balloon.

His suggestion for your problem was to first wash the meat off with cold water after opening it, and then let it sit in the open air for 10-20 minutes to let the gassy smell go away. If it's a persistent problem - shop somewhere else or, if it's a certain brand, try a different brand.

Hope this gives you a general idea ... and I didn't leave out too much of what he said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom