Cooking pork sauage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heat a skillet fairly hot and then spray it with cooking spray. Then add the sausage patties or links. I don't turn them until they are good and browned and have only a little sticking.

Just make sure you get them cooked well done. 145 to 150 F. Then remove from skillet and allow to rest a few minutes before serving.

I heat a skillet fairly hot and then spray it with cooking spray. Then add the sausage patties or links. I don't turn them until they are good and browned and have only a little sticking.

Just make sure you get them cooked well done. 145 to 150 F. Then remove from skillet and allow to rest a few minutes before serving.
Sausage has enough fat that more shouldn't be needed to cook it.

The key thing is do not try to turn them too soon after putting them raw into the pan. Let a crust develop. That crust will protect the raw meat under it from sticking to the pan.

CD

thanks for the info unforchantantly I'm not using a castiron skillet ceramic stovetop God how I hate it.

You don't need a cast iron skillet. Use what you have, same rule of crust applies.

BTW, I've been using my cast iron cookware on my ceramic cooktop for about 20 years. No problems.

CD

if you are cooking regular sausage and not breakfast i like to bake mine on a bed of onions topped off with peppers and some olive oil. around 20-30min @ 350. if you want crunchy crank up last 5min or so to 370. flip as often as you like. they cook great that way.

Another point is not to use too high a heat. Medium heat will do. If using SS, let the pan heat until a drop of water skitters across the pan. Add a tsp. of oil to the pan and wipe it all around with a paper towel. Place sausage links, or patties into the pan. Add a couple tbs. water and cover. Let simmer for 8 minutes or so. Remove the lid and let all of the water evaporate. Coo;k the sausage until browned on all sides, turening as needed. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Have you considered using a non-stick pan? You can pick up a set of three; 8-inch, 10-inch and 12-inch, for less than 20 bucks American at Target or Wally World. The bonus is you can then cook your eggs in the sausage juice!

GUEST_0042c701-ed11-4df7-ac54-de8ae0e73229

Farberware Reliance 3pc Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan Set​

Last edited:
Never thought about this because it's never been an issue. We live in the South where piggie is King.

I just flop the patties into whatever pan I have nearest to me and go for it. I think the most common thing to do is to let the patties/links get a good sear, then turn. Never have any stick and, whomever said about cooking eggs in the fat is spot on. Especially, fried eggs.

Never thought about this because it's never been an issue. We live in the South where piggie is King.

I just flop the patties into whatever pan I have nearest to me and go for it. I think the most common thing to do is to let the patties/links get a good sear, then turn. Never have any stick and, whomever said about cooking eggs in the fat is spot on. Especially, fried eggs.

Sausage fat has less cholesterol thandoes butter. So if you like the flavor of suasage fat, spoon it onto your pancakes, or waffles. It tastes great.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back when I was in High School my mom took a job with a company that did in store demo's of various food products.

One local Meat company in the area occasionally promoted their breakfast sausage (in patty form). Each demo person was issued an electric skillet and roll of foil to line the skillet with. They were also given a plastic box with all purpose flour to dredge the sausage patties. Before placing the patties into the skillet a 2 second spritz of seasoning spray was shot into the foil lined skillet. They were taught this method in a training seminar.

They were to use new foil for each batch of patties they cooked.

I don't remember how long the sausage had to cook on each side, but what she cooked looked as good as what you would see in magazine advertisements for some national brand of sausage. None of the sausage seemed to stick, and there wasn't a lot of grease produced using this process.

Another way to make sausage patties for a crows is to line a baking sheet with
parchment paper. Set the oven for 400 degrees. Place tje patties in rows, making sure they don't touch each other. Pop them into the hot oven and roast for 8 minutes. Flip and roast another 8 minutes. Remove 1 patty to test. Remove to a serving dish and serve to all.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have noticed that life in the sausage world has changed.
my personal fav is Bob Evans 'original'/whatever. not a fan of weird sausage flavors....

I take a one pound 'roll' - cut it into 12 slices (used to have marks - all gone now,,, didn't know ink was that expensive...) and pan fry the whole lot to about 80% done.
then cool and freeze; nuke one or two for 3 minutes at 30% when it's on the breakfast schedule.

in years gone by, a lot of fat came out of Bob Evans sausage. it's quite a change to the new-fangled stuff - with much less fat rendering out during the pan fry.

The one food I can't really stand is ground pork breakfast type sausage. Not sure why.

I love all other pork products. Maybe it is the salt, or seasonings in standard rolled sausage. I love a good Italian ground sausage, as in meatballs or pasta.

Do you like sage? Because sage seems to be the seasoning that makes a pork sausage a breakfast sausage. If you do like sage, maybe you should try making your own. I don't make proper sausages, but I do mix up something that could go in a casing and become pork sausage. I just fry it up as sausage patties. I do like the ones I make better than store bought breakfast sausage.

You don't need a cast iron skillet. Use what you have, same rule of crust applies.

BTW, I've been using my cast iron cookware on my ceramic cooktop for about 20 years. No problems.

CD

So have we, just don't drag it around on the stovetop. Lift it up and sit it down where you want it so it doesn't scratch, and obviously don't drop it or let it down hard.

Agree on the crusting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom