Crown Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I have had a crown roast of pork in my freezer since mid January. I know I'd better do something with it. Think it will be okay to roast this weekend for guests?

It should be fine. Be careful with it. You might want to put it into a brine solution as it thaws. Crown Roast of pork needs to have the chine bones removed, and the rib bones frenched. After that, be carefull not to overcook because it can quickly turn into a dry, and tough piece of pork.

Stuff the area on top of the curled meat with either a savory, or fruity stuffing. Although, if brined with ginger, soy sauce, and brown sugar, you could go with a fried rice kind of stuffing.

Most of all, present it beautifully and enjoy. You know my avatar, it's a crown roast of pork that I made and was very proud of. Done right, a crown roast of pork is dramatic, and delicious. It will make you the envy of every cook you know.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The roast was already formed into a crown when I purchased it. it is about 4 1/2 pounds..hopefully enough for 4 people. should I stuff it or bake the stuffing on the side then stuff it for presentation? Also how long to cook it? The only recipe I could find called for a 9 pound roast!

Last edited:
I would cook the stuffing on the side (especially if you brine it). You won't have to cook the pork so long that way. I'd also agree with Chief about the brining, though I don't know about as it thaws. We usually only brine for 4 hours max, otherwise it tends to be too salty for us.

For six 1 to 1-1/4 inch chops we use

2 cups water
2 cups beer or apple cider
1/3 cup salt
3 tblsp brown sugar
3 tblsp molasses (I've been known to leave this out and increase BS a bit)
1 cup ice cubes

Sometimes I'll throw in some crushed garlic gloves or thyme or sage or rosemary, whatever goes with the flavor profile of the sides we are having. This is NOT a set recipe as far as flavorings go, or even the use of alcoholic beverages, you could use all water or say apple juice instead of the beer or cider.

Shoot for an internal temp of 145 to no more than 150 with this roast. Also, remember to let it rest, and that the internal temp will rise by about 5 degrees. The meat is the star and it should be juicy and tender, and well flavored, i.e. S&P, garlic, whatever herbs and spices you want, or fruit.

Also, if adding an acidic ingredient, you are making a marinade rather than a brine. The marinade doesn't t soak into the meat, no longer how long it is in the solution. A brine on the other hand, soaks into the meat until equilibrium is reached between all substances in the brine, and all juices in the meat.

Also, if adding an acidic ingredient, you are making a marinade rather than a brine. The marinade doesn't t soak into the meat, no longer how long it is in the solution. A brine on the other hand, soaks into the meat until equilibrium is reached between all substances in the brine, and all juices in the meat.

However, meat left long enough in acidic marinade practically gets "cooked" it can be eaten raw after say couple of days.

However, meat left long enough in acidic marinade practically gets "cooked" it can be eaten raw after say couple of days.

I disagree. A acidic marinade will make a meat or fish 'look' cooked but it isn't. I wouldn't eat raw chicken that had been marinated for a long time.

Only heat can kill off harmful bacteria in meats.

I disagree. A acidic marinade will make a meat or fish 'look' cooked but it isn't. I wouldn't eat raw chicken that had been marinated for a long time.

Or Gamma, and x-rays. Just sayin':mrgreen:

Yes, I know, I'm being absurd. It's such a fun thing to do. But I agree with you 100%, Andy.

You can bake the stuffing separate, and then spoon into the center and return to the oven for a little bit to get a crispy top, but I wouldn't know how to adjust the total baking time.

You can buy a jar of crab apples, in the pickles section, and put one on each of the bone tops for fun.

One year just after Thanksgiving when I had ALL the grandchildren with me for tree trimming, for their craft to do for the day, I had cut and made up a bunch of stockings for the crown roast I was going to be serving for Christmas. So I tossed a bucket of crayons I had in the middle of the table and each one got a couple of stockings to decorate as they saw fit. They then got to eat the cookies they 'made' (Pillsbury cookie roll) with a hot cup of cocoa.

Those stocking made for a really interesting roast. They each decorated four and were able to take home two to show Daddy. :angel:

One year just after Thanksgiving when I had ALL the grandchildren with me for tree trimming, for their craft to do for the day, I had cut and made up a bunch of stockings for the crown roast I was going to be serving for Christmas. So I tossed a bucket of crayons I had in the middle of the table and each one got a couple of stockings to decorate as they saw fit. They then got to eat the cookies they 'made' (Pillsbury cookie roll) with a hot cup of cocoa.

Those stocking made for a really interesting roast. They each decorated four and were able to take home two to show Daddy. :angel:

Why that's almost as interesting as dirty sock soup:ohmy::LOL:.

Good point with chicken, honestly, never done it and totally slipped my mind. But have done it with pork and beef, after 3 days, totally you can eat it raw. It even tastes cooked.

Good point with chicken, honestly, never done it and totally slipped my mind. But have done it with pork and beef, after 3 days, totally you can eat it raw. It even tastes cooked.

Really, what kind of prep? Don't think I would do that. I've eaten beef totally raw and marinated/cooked in acid raw but pork??? I know today's pork is supposed to be safe but I guess it's still too ingrained from long ago.

I haven't eaten pork in 20 years, so it was probably less safe then. Oil, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cut up pork in about 2 inch cubes, season, marinade, leave it the fridge for 3 days. Use to make shush kebab. Make sure to put on the skewer really fast, so not to eat raw. I used to love to eat it raw. After 3 days it looks and tastes cooked. I do the same thing with beef nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom