Crown Roast of Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Yesterday, I purchase a crown roast of pork and it's been many years since I've prepared this. Have any of you made this and, if so, how do you roast it? Seasonings, stuffed or not, etc. Will appreciate any advice.

I made one a while back. I would definitely stuff it. That saves time on making an extra side. As far as seasoning, the season you use in the stuffing will be fine. Bake @ 350-375 till the stuffing reaches 165-170. Cover and rest for 15 minutes then serve.

It's been a while since I've made one. My only two pieces of advice are this:

1. Cover the bone tips with foil so they don't char.
  2. Don't overcook it. If you decide to stuff it, I would cook the stuffing and the pork separately. Slow roast the pork to an internal temp of 140F. Rest it (the internal temp should come up to 145+) and then add the stuffing. Crank the oven to about 500-550F, and put the stuffed pork back in just long enough to sear the outside and give the stuffing a little color and a nice crust. It shouldn't take any more than minutes.

My best advice, is brine it before you cook it. That's a huge solid piece of dense lean pork, and it will make all the difference in the world. Use a big pot to stand it up in the brine.

Thanks, everybody. Steve, my butcher suggested what you did,cook the stuffing separately, then stuff the crown and finish off in the oven for a short time.
Kayelle, what would you use for a brine?

I have only ever eaten, never made, a crown roast. Dinner was at great-aunt's house when I was a kid. I remember it was carved at the table and she put pickled whole crab apples on all the bones. Yes, she made a good stuffing for it too. Totally impressed me.

LL, I would use 1/2 cup of Morton Kosher Salt to 8 cups of water. That's really all you need to brine, although you could also add some brown sugar, smashed garlic cloves, and other herbs of your choice to the mix. Don't use any other salt in those proportions. A big hunk of meat like that will be done brining in 8-10 hrs. imo.

Last edited:
LL, please let us all know how your beautiful Crown Rib of Pork roast turned out. It's not something most of us cook often, and we're all here to learn. It just looks so elegant, and I hope it was a hit.

I've made this meal, and strongly agree with Steve and Kayelle. If you want, this is also a great roast to barbecue, low and slow to 140', basting with a good mop, and maybe adding some fruit-wood chips in to hot-smoke it. My stuffing was a pineapple/rice mixture, but you can stuff it with whatever you want.

For presentation, I spread purple kale all over the platter, with some grilled red, orange, and yellow bell peppers spread around the roast, which was laid on top of the kale. Everyone loved it and the kale added beautiful color.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've made this meal, and strongly agree with Steve and Kayelle. If you want, this is also a great roast to barbecue, low and slow to 140', basting with a good mop, and maybe adding some fruit-wood chips in to hot-smoke it. My stuffing was a pineapple/rice mixture, but you can stuff it with whatever you want.

For presentation, I spread purple kale all over the platter, with some grilled red, orange, and yellow bell peppers spread around the roast, which was laid on top of the kale. Everyone loved it and the kale added beautiful color.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A picture of that roast would make a great avatar!

Gee, today on Create Martha demonstrated how to cook both a rib roast and a crown pork roast. I didn't care for the stuffing she made for the crown roast. She made and mixed it up. Then when the roast was just about done she added the stuffing to the center of the roast and put it in a 500ºF. oven for a short while to brown the meat and cook the stuffing. Then shut it off and let it rest. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom