Cuban Roast Pork....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cuban-pork-roast/

I do not know how large my piece of pork when I tried out this recipe, but for me this piece of pork wound up finishing sooner than the recipe says it would.

I could really taste the orange flavor in the juices that wound up in the end. The pork was nice and flavorful. It certainly looked great before I started to shred it.

Last edited:
You can also do it on the stovetop. As well, you can mix bottles of naranja and mojo, with some water/chicken or pork stock and skip the other stuff in the recipe. The Cubans cook yuca and/or potatoes, boiling onions or halved/quartered regular onions, and sometimes carrots in with the roast, like an American pot roast, plus Cuban bread and rice as sides. I know, huge on carbs, but that's their tradition.

Leftover pork makes great Cuban or media noche sammies.

Last edited:
I grew up in an Italian/Cuban home. I was born and grew up in Miami and Key West. My grandparents lived and died on that little island. My grandfather had never been off the island except maybe to Stock Island just a couple miles north.

On Saturday, my dad would go to a neighbors house and pick a couple sour oranges. He included a trip to the local bar as well.
When he got home we would help by putting slices of garlic into the holes/slits he had made with a knife in the pork roast.
Never did we ever use a boneless roast. It was a bone in shoulder roast (fresh picnic) with the thick skin cap. No scoring as there were several holes apparent from the garlic slices.

He then mixed up the sour orange, more crushed garlic, oregano, olive oil and salt & Pepper. Some Cubans used cumin in the mojo. We did sometimes.

The roast marinated in the fridge overnight. Then transferred to a roasting pan skin side up.
He roasted it until the skin was very crispy. So crispy it could be used as a drum.
He served yuca/malanga* along with the drippings, mixed with onions and garlic. He even used some left over bacon grease if needed.
Along side was white rice, fried ripe plantains or tostones and my mothers tossed salad.
My mouth waters for these things again.

I miss my mom and dad so much. But I do have a loving wife, so life is good.

*spelling may be wrong.

Last edited:
We roast it similar to RollBones as well, except we make a paste of garlic, cumin, bit of oregano, S, P, and olive oil, rub it on the roast, then let it sit for several hours to overnight, then roast. Black beans in some form are usually a side, as well as those mentioned.

How we cook it depends on what type we are in the mood for.

We roast it similar to RollBones as well, except we make a paste of garlic, cumin, bit of oregano, S, P, and olive oil, rub it on the roast, then let it sit for several hours to overnight, then roast. Black beans in some form are usually a side, as well as those mentioned.

How we cook it depends on what type we are in the mood for.

I cannot believe I forgot the black beans. They indeed accompanied the roast pork dinner. We make black beans and yellow rice a lot. My wife prefers yellow rice.
We cheat. We use Vigo yellow rice mix. It is fantastic and cheap. We buy the small packet for under a dollar. I have several on hand at all times.

I cannot believe I forgot the black beans. They indeed accompanied the roast pork dinner. We make black beans and yellow rice a lot. My wife prefers yellow rice.
We cheat. We use Vigo yellow rice mix. It is fantastic and cheap. We buy the small packet for under a dollar. I have several on hand at all times.

That's interesting.. I'm not at all familiar with this..

Ross

Ross

It's a packet of rice with seasonings already in it. It also makes great chicken and yellow rice. I love it. Craig prefers made from scratch.

You season flour liberally with salt and pepper, lightly coat chicken pieces in it. Brown the chicken well in just enough olive oil. Remove the chicken, add the rice packet (I use the big one, they came in 2 sizes at least), stir to mix the rice and spices with the oil to toast just a bit, then add water/chicken broth/combo in the amount called for. Bring to a boil, nestle the chicken pieces in, turn down to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. I usually add in some frozen green peas about 10 minutes into the cook.

Easy, peezy, delicious meal. Black beans go good with this too.

It's a packet of rice with seasonings already in it. It also makes great chicken and yellow rice. I love it. Craig prefers made from scratch.

You season flour liberally with salt and pepper, lightly coat chicken pieces in it. Brown the chicken well in just enough olive oil. Remove the chicken, add the rice packet (I use the big one, they came in 2 sizes at least), stir to mix the rice and spices with the oil to toast just a bit, then add water/chicken broth/combo in the amount called for. Bring to a boil, nestle the chicken pieces in, turn down to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. I usually add in some frozen green peas about 10 minutes into the cook.

Easy, peezy, delicious meal. Black beans go good with this too.

Thank you.. I will look for it.. The older I get, the more I look for "cooking help" items..

Ross

It's in a cellophane package that's kind of yellow.

Oh, and if you want to be fancy, you can also add some drained sliced pimientos or strips of roasted red bell when you add the peas.

Last edited:
Ross

Rice isle. Yellow package. Comes in two sizes. The small one will feed 4 if its a side dish.
It made life much easier for me when we had a our granddaughter here.
Turns out she loves it after declaring yellow rice was "yuckie".

It's in a cellophane package that's kind of yellow.
Oh, and if you want to be fancy, you can also add some drained sliced pimientos or strips of roasted red bell when you add the peas.

Yep. We kick it up at the end as well.
One more hack.
Buy canned black beans and kick them up with sauteed onions, garlic and bell peppers. Very good. Do not add any salt until you taste them!

Back
Top Bottom