Do these pork chops sound good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
The other evening, I declared (to myself) that I was fixing pork chops for our family of four. Unless breaded & fried, pork does not go over well with my two preschoolers.

The Boyz also don't care much for either pan-fried-with-salt & pepper pork chops or pork chops baked in cream-O-mushroom soup. While I do not care for pork chops prepared with fruit or something sweet, it was getting obvious that my repertoire of pork chop dishes needed to be updated.

So, I browned some sirloin pork chops sprinkled lightly with seasoning salt & pepper, then added a serving of unsweetened apple sauce, and a snack-size box of yogurt covered raisins to the pan before covering it, and placing it in a preheated, 325 deg oven for about 45 minutes. Yogart covered raisins was not my first choice, but the cupboard was bare of the plain variety.

How would you rate this dish - :chef: :neutral: :sick: ?

Just curious :flowers:
Tom

Sounds like dinner and dessert together to me. :eek:)
I've had pork with an apple cinnamon flavoring to it. Did the kiddos like it? If they did, then it's a winner, I would say.

Sounds good to me, but I would skip the yogurt covered raisins. Did your family like it?

Sounds A-okay in my book! I'm a bit strange but I love "desset" items and dinner on the same plate. I'd happily eat chocolate cake and pizza off the same dish at once.

Did the yogurt covering melt? I might have just gone with plain raisins (which are great with pork, as are grapes), but it's a neat twist! What did you little guys think of it? :)

You and my husband, Jessica! He drinks chocolate milk with pizza.

I like to fix "fried apples" with pork. Just slice the apples and simmer them in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until tender. Raisins are great cooked along with it, if you like. Then you can spoon them on top of the pan-fried (or oven-fried) pork chops.
The kids might also like pork strips. Cut strips from a pork loin, bread and fry them like chicken strips, and serve with the same sauces you'd use for the chicken strips. (sweet & sour, sweet/hot mustard, BBQ, or catsup)

I'm with amber on skipping the raisins (just don't like yogurt one bit.)

I've always liked the combo of pork chops fried with sliced onions and apples (you could also bake this).

Another, more spicy but easy dish is to brown your chops, add 1/2 cup red wine and a bottle of chili sauce, and simmer on the stovetop for about an hour. Serve over rice.

You will like it, but here's another way to do it for the kiddos: use tomato sauce and some pizza flavorings, top with shredded mozz when finished.

No cartwheels or anything

Piccolina said:
... Did the yogurt covering melt? I might have just gone with plain raisins (which are great with pork, as are grapes), but it's a neat twist! What did you little guys think of it? :)
Thanks everyone for the positive remarks. I thought the entre was worthy of fine-tuning.

The yogart covering did melt. The coating did not really combine into a smooth sauce though. If the dish is to be perfected, I believe the after-cooking liquid would need to be collected & brought to a boil with some flour to produce a smooth sauce. But I would rather repeat the effort with plain raisins first to see if the yogart added anything.

As far as the Boyz eating it... Not really. :( My wife did, and asked for the meal to be repeated. Some time in the future. :huh:

Thanks again for the responses,
Tom

Back
Top Bottom