Faggots - traditional UK dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
These are home made faggots , made with pork, pigs liver, mace, and stuffing (I used gluten free stuffing ) . They are cooked in an onion gravy . You can buy a brand of faggots by Brains but these home made ones are pretty close and easy to do . I made a batch and will freeze half.

image-2324125046.jpg

170g pack of sage and onion stuffing. 500g diced pork shoulder or pork mince , 300g pig liver. half tsp mace.........2 onions sliced. 1 tbsp sunflower oil. 2 tsp sugar. 1 tbsp red wine vinegar. 3 tbsp plain flour. 850ml beef stock. handful of chopped parsely.....................heat oven to 160c, lightly oil a LARGE roasting tin (i had to use 2). Tip the stuffing into a bowl with 500ml of boiling water, stir and leave to one side. in a food processor, put the pork in and pulse, add the liver and pulse again then put the meat into the stuffing bowl and give it a good mix, with the mace and lots of black pepper and some salt, now the mucky bit as its quite a sloppy mix, make into 24 ball shapes and put in the roasting tin...............fry the onions in the oil until they turn golden, add the sugar and stir until caramalised, tip in the vinegar and stir, mix the flour with 2 tbsp of water, pour the stock over the onions the add the flour paste to cook stirring constantly until smooth and thickened, then pour over the faggots. cover with tin foil tightly and cook for 1 hour...........for freezing.... once cooled pack into tin foil containers(i used pyrex) and cover with foil. cook from frozen at 180c for 45-60 mins until hot all through and bubbling.

This recipe is taken from BBC Good Food magazine, October edition . I used Mrs Crimbles gluten free stuffing mix and added approx 300mls of water.

The gravy is gorgeous and these would go well with some mashed potato and veg .

image-1668646031.jpg

Forgot to add that I made 12 large ones instead of 24 , and they do shrink just a little . I find 2 with gravy plus some mash and veg is enough for a meal . I have a stash portioned up now for the freezer :) .

They look good Gravy Queen. I'm from the U.K. too and like faggots, prefer the home made ones to the bought ones. In the South where I am based they are often eaten with pease pudding - don't know what they are called in the U.S.A. but this is a picture of them -Split pea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are the same as in the nursery rhyme, Pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold, pease pudding in the pot, nine day's old. Pease Pudding Hot rhyme

Bumping this for myself , it's faggot weather now !

Thanks for bumping this. When each of my children started to walk, we would walk to the store and I would recite nursery rhymes to them. It was the basis for their early interest in reading and counting. Peas Pudding Hot was always recited whenever I served them at supper. I continued this practice with the grandchildren. We would have conversations about the rhyme. Ding Dong Dell, Pussy in the well, was one of my granddaughter's favorites. We would take a walk for a couple of blocks to go get an ice cream cone. One of the homes we passed had a decorative well on the front lawn. She always had to run up to the well too make sure the pussy got out. Today she is a strong advocate for abandoned cats and dogs. Just like her mother was.

These rhymes taught my children all sorts of things long before they could read and write. They passed this tradition on to their children. Thank you for reviving a happy memory. :angel:

These are home made faggots , made with pork, pigs liver, mace, and stuffing (I used gluten free stuffing ) . They are cooked in an onion gravy . You can buy a brand of faggots by Brains but these home made ones are pretty close and easy to do . I made a batch and will freeze half.

View attachment 15684
not had brains for yonks hun...go on,i just keep feeding you the lines don't i queen:rolleyes:;):LOL:!!think i've seen them in tesco;)!!

They look good Gravy Queen. I'm from the U.K. too and like faggots, prefer the home made ones to the bought ones. In the South where I am based they are often eaten with pease pudding - don't know what they are called in the U.S.A. but this is a picture of them -Split pea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are the same as in the nursery rhyme, Pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold, pease pudding in the pot, nine day's old. Pease Pudding Hot rhyme
My father who was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire, always called faggots "savoury ducks".

If they are known in America I would imagine that they are not called faggots ;)

Very politely and succinctly put Addie. I can think of no instance where I have ever heard it used in a nice manner. I however, didn't know faggots were a food. I always thought they were a bundle of sticks or wood tied up and remind me of Charles Dickens type stories.

This must be an example of the word being used in a nice way ,it's a comfort food . Never heard of the reference to sticks or wood tied up though ?

I think savoury ducks are different , do they use sausage meat ?

This must be an example of the word being used in a nice way ,it's a comfort food . Never heard of the reference to sticks or wood tied up though ?

I think savoury ducks are different , do they use sausage meat ?

If the stick and wood come from the era of Charles Dickens, I wasn't around then. I was born a couple of days too late. ;) But I have heard the word "fag" used in English movies. It has always been used in reference to a cigarette. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom