Flat Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the oven method, too. I recently saw a tip that will restore some of the trouble that's saved by not pan-frying :rolleyes:-- if you line your sheet with foil, crimp the foil every inch or so, make little ridges -- lay the bacon across them and the fat drains off more completely. Naw, not gonna do it, I'm just passing it along.

I can't imagine what in the world difference cold water would make.

Question about bacon in the oven----- I don't have a self-cleaning oven and I certainly don't want to clean the oven myself very often------- doesn't that deposit fat all over the oven?

Or how does one prevent that?
I use a bacon press in my CI skillet usually.

Curly---- some spots will be crisp and some will be not AS cooked. I'll still eat it though. :)

Question about bacon in the oven----- I don't have a self-cleaning oven and I certainly don't want to clean the oven myself very often------- doesn't that deposit fat all over the oven?

Or how does one prevent that?
I use a bacon press in my CI skillet usually.

Curly---- some spots will be crisp and some will be not AS cooked. I'll still eat it though. :)

I put my bacon on a rack in a jelly roll sheet pan lined with aluminium foil because the bacon juice makes little round spots on my sheet pans that won't wash off. I have also used broiler pans because someone in the last apartment I rented left me about 6 of them and I brought them with me when I bought the house. 375F for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness and fat content of the bacon.

After I remove the bacon from the pans, I pour the bacon squeezin's into a bowl I keep on the counter next to the stove to use when I fry certain things, and I also use it to season or reseaon my cast iron and my wok.

Bacon baked in the oven does not spatter like fried bacon does, so no, it won't mess up your oven.

Last edited:
I agree that nuked bacon stays pretty flat but often cook it in the oven to reduce hassle factor. I recently tried dredging it in flour first and have to say it was a huge hit at my house. The bacon cooked crispy AND it had a crispy bacon-y breading as well. Score.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom