Goetta recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Goetta is a Southern Germany portage that is fried. It seems like it's more popular in the Cincinnati area than it actually is in Germany.

I only found 1 thread that was really related to finding a recipe on DC and that was about 7 years ago. I'm trying to find a goetta recipe that's worth a damn. I've tried 3 times and there are qualities that I like about my homemade goetta, but the stuff I buy in the store is sooo good. I wonder if anyone has some insight.

A typical recipe consists of:

3 quarts water
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
5 cups steel cut oats
2 pounds ground beef
2 pounds ground pork sausage
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup cooking oil
Directions

Bring water, salt, and pepper to boil in a slow cooker set to High. Stir in steel cut oats, cover, and cook 90 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix beef, pork, and onions. Stir into the oat mixture, and reduce heat to Low. Cover, and continue cooking 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the mixture to a medium baking pan, and cool until semi-solid. Turn out onto wax paper, and chill 1 hour in the refrigerator, or until firm.
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cut the refrigerated mixture into thin slices. Cook slices one at a time in the heated oil until evenly brown.

I encourage ANYONE to try this at least once and season it to taste <--that's the part I'm struggling with.

I wonder where Pacanis is this weekend. Maybe he will see this thread.

During football season last year, he made dinners relating to his team's opponent for the week. He called it his Personal Pigskin Challenge. The week he got to Cincinnati, he made Goetta.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/whats-cookin-for-dinner-sun-nov-27th-76357.html

It was right about the time I joined DC, and was still getting to know people's thoughts around here. I also had not heard of Goetta before.

It reminds me of Scrapple, which is not German but Pennsylvania Dutch.
in origin. But aren't Pennsylvania Dutch Germans too? Somewho there is a branching off but I think the two are related.

My thought is, after the Goetta sets up, slice it and fry it in Bacon Drippings. That may be just the "touch" you are looking for to bring it all together.

Goetta is a Southern Germany portage that is fried. It seems like it's more popular in the Cincinnati area than it actually is in Germany.

I only found 1 thread that was really related to finding a recipe on DC and that was about 7 years ago. I'm trying to find a goetta recipe that's worth a damn. I've tried 3 times and there are qualities that I like about my homemade goetta, but the stuff I buy in the store is sooo good. I wonder if anyone has some insight.

A typical recipe consists of:

3 quarts water
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
5 cups steel cut oats
2 pounds ground beef
2 pounds ground pork sausage
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup cooking oil
Directions

Bring water, salt, and pepper to boil in a slow cooker set to High. Stir in steel cut oats, cover, and cook 90 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix beef, pork, and onions. Stir into the oat mixture, and reduce heat to Low. Cover, and continue cooking 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the mixture to a medium baking pan, and cool until semi-solid. Turn out onto wax paper, and chill 1 hour in the refrigerator, or until firm.
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cut the refrigerated mixture into thin slices. Cook slices one at a time in the heated oil until evenly brown.

I encourage ANYONE to try this at least once and season it to taste <--that's the part I'm struggling with.
2 TBS marjoram (Majoran)
4 bay leaves in the cooking water.
2 teaspoons thyme (ein bisschen Thymian oder Rosmarin)

Last edited:
Scrapple, Goetta... it's all good :LOL:
Hi Whiskas. Good memory :)
I just thawed a log of that goetta last week and fried some slices for lunch sandwiches.

Sorry, I only made it once and probably would not do it again. The house smelled fantastic and all. And it was good... but kind of bland for my tastes. Useful though. I added some to spaghetti sauce as a thickener and also made goetta meatballs. It just wasn't worth the effort to repeat. At least not the recipe I used.

Back
Top Bottom