Half Back Bacon Roasting Joint - How do I cook it best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishRoger

Assistant Cook
I enjoy a lot of cooking but i do not know much about it really. Well normally i can try and test new things but i have to cook for the girlfriend later and i need to get this right after boasting about how good of a cook i am :angel: Well the dish i am making is a Back Bacon roasting joint with Cabagge and potato's (mashed). But i have a problem with the bacon joint.

We normally buy a big bacon ham and boil it for two hours and add the cabbage half way through and boil it with the meat. But this is a roasting joint so i assume i slap on some olive oil and put it in the oven for roughly two hours? Just being sure so i do not mess it up :yum: Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Welcome to DC. I would love to help, but have no idea what kind of cut that is. Not something I've heard of in the states.:(

I used the magic google button and see that it is a cured cut from the shoulder. I still can't guess what it might be equal to here, but I did see several suggestions for roasting it.

Last edited:
Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Near as I can tell this cut is pretty much the same as a butt portion of a shoulder or a ham.
Perhaps your butcher could provide some cooking information?
I would suggest roasting in a pan with a cover. Place a rack underneath the meat and add a cup or so of water in the bottom of the pan. Cook, covered, at 350F for 20 min per pound.
Use a meat thermometer to check it. You are looking for 160F for doneness.

Back bacon or Irish bacon is from the back of the hog or the loin. I recommend roasting it at 400º F (200º C) to an internal temperature of 145º F - 150º F (63º C - 66º C). Remove from the oven and rest for 20-30 minutes before carving.

I think we need to get a better description of what this piece of meat is. "Joint" implies bone. "Back bacon" sounds like it's pork loin. No bone in that.

I'm not even sure what he is substituting it for - "bacon ham". What's that? Could be what Canadians call back bacon and Yanks call Canadian bacon or could be something else again.

Maybe some of our Brits could chime in and clarify?

Its called a 'Back Bacon Roasting joint' 0.700kgs.

So far i have very slow roasted it covered and with water in it, i also cut it in half. After two hours very slow roasting i have started to really roast it now and it looks and smells nice so far :yum:

Its called a 'Back Bacon Roasting joint' 0.700kgs.

So far i have very slow roasted it covered and with water in it, i also cut it in half. After two hours very slow roasting i have started to really roast it now and it looks and smells nice so far :yum:
We need a description of where it comes from on the animal. Does it have a bone? Is it smoked?

We have nothing called "Back Bacon Roasting joint" on this side of the pond. We don't even have meat called "joint".

I think joint refers to any large cut of meat roasted whole... as in "roasting a joint of beef for Sunday dinner." It isn't a specific cut or anything like that.

just got your pm about the bacon joint tax.back bacon is bacon made from the the centre cut of the pork loin.when it is sold sliced it sometimes is just the eye of the loin with a bit of the "streaky" attached or it can have all of the "streaky" attached depending on the size of the pig.boneless of course.the bacon roasting joint is just a whole piece of back bacon unsliced.usually sold rolled & tied.
i would soak for a couple of hours,rinse then roast @ 190c for about 20-25mins/lb as it's a tender cut(you won't need any oil or salt,irish) or foil up & do it long & slow for "pulled" bacon.i also cook bacon joints in the pressure cooker or slow cooker(crock pot)but that's for cheaper cuts.
there ya go,hope that helps & welcome to dc from a sunny,for once,manchester uk!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom