Help - I soaked the wrong pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clevy81

Assistant Cook
So I'm cooking for Christmas and after a couple gin and tonics I put the pork shoulder I'm going to cook on the 26th on to soak not the gammon joint for tomorrow.

I've swapped them back now, but will this affect the pork? Will it still be ok to cook it for the 26th?

I was going to boil it and then roast with spices.

Welcome to DC. What are you soaking it in?

I don't think the shoulder will be harmed.

Last edited:
Thanks. It was just water. I meant to be just pre soak my gammon. I'm worried it will become very soft and have no texture when I come to cook it later in the week.

Pork shoulder is pretty dense. I don't think soaking it in water will do much to it at all. Just dry it off and cook as normal.

I'm curious about why you want to boil it, I would just roast it at a fairly low temperature, since it has a lot of fat and collagen.

Pork shoulder is pretty dense. I don't think soaking it in water will do much to it at all. Just dry it off and cook as normal.

I'm curious about why you want to boil it, I would just roast it at a fairly low temperature, since it has a lot of fat and collagen.

I agree. Just roast it low and slow to an internal temperature of 185F-190F.

Thanks guys for the advice, really appreciated.

I was going to boil it the night before with some onion, chilli and bay leaves then roast it in the oven. I've cooked it a few times before and it's a great recipie with pesto mash.

But I was worried my soaking of the pork might soften it up too much?

What Andy and GG said. It'll be fine. Pork shoulder is pretty forgiving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom