Help with cooking a ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

act11

Assistant Cook
I am new to this site today. I searched for help with cooking a ham and found this great site. Today I went and picked up a hog we had processed. When I got it home and started putting it in the freezer I realized I have 2 whole fresh hams, that are huge! I have know idea what to do with them. Last year the butcher cut them in half and cured them. I told them I wanted them different this year because I hadn't cared for them because they were so salty. (I read on a different thread you are suppose to soak them over night, I didn't know that, they might of not been so salty then.) But anyway now I have 2 HUGE whole fresh hams. How do I cook them?

For at least one, or you can halve it, there is nothing better than roast fresh ham.

Hello and welcome to DC act11.

I would take the hams back and have the butcher/processor cut them in half. A shank portion, and a butt portion. If that is not possible. Cover & Simmer for about 25 minutes per pound. Cool slightly, glaze, and brown. Or you could BBQ at 225* until you reach 160* in the center of the thickest part. This should get the ham sliceable after it cools.

Fun!

Last edited:
I don't have a smoker. I will need to get a huge pan to cook the ham in I know I don't have anything that big. If I cook it in the oven can I just cover it with foil?

act11 said:
If I cook it in the oven can I just cover it with foil?

Yes. As long as it is in a pan big enojgh to catch the drippings. Score the ham checker board fashion. Bake at 400* for roughly an hour. Cover with foil. Turn your oven down to about 325* and finish.

Thank you, this will be an adventure I'm sure. I Am thinking Easter might be the time I attempt cooking one.

Welcome to DC. My way of cooking ham is boiling it until it's half done, then put it in the over after rubbing honey and mustard on it and very low heat so the honey doesn't burn until it's cooked through.

I would half cook it by boiling it. If you don't have LARGE grill, you can rent one!. Fire up a grill large enough to hold the ham with a lot of charcoal. It's going to cook a while, you may need to replenish the charcoal.

Put the ham on a rack over the coals, not too close. Cover with aluminum foil and close the lid. Every 1/2 hr check and turn the ham. Baste with your favorite baste.. I like a mustard, brown sugar, orange juice, clove baste for a ham. Cook until the center is above 160F..

Back
Top Bottom