Help with Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
:pig: :pig: :pig:
Dh says he wants a ham for Christmas dinner. I've never made one and would like to know the tricks for cooking a great one. One major catch is that he doesn't like anything sweet with his pork. Crazy, I know, who doesn't like to dip their bacon in maple syrup?!:wacko: I don't know anything about cooking a ham. Does it require a lot of attention or can I just throw it in the oven and forget about it while I tend to a new baby that will hopefully arrive by x-mas? Thanks a bunch! Any advice is always appreciated!

usually the hams i get i can just pop into the oven and forget about it for awhile. what or if you decide to glaze it is entirely up to you. most everyone i know opts for sweet glazes though.

I've never done one like this, but a lot of people swear by it--pour a couple cans of beer over the ham, cover then bake.

:) Barbara

I cooked one last Christmas for the first time also and it was pretty tasty. I did soak it in water for 24 hours to release the extra salt in it, then cooked it in the oven for about 4 hours (25 minutes per pound). I glazed mine with a honey spiced sauce and topped it with pineapples. I know your hubby doesn't want anything sweet so you might want to have the glaze on the side. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom