How do you cook your brats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
o.k. how do you cook your brats? i say the best way is grill
then simmer in onions and beer. other say boil in beer first then
grill

what is you thoughts?

Last edited:
Ehm... I know children can be a big PITA at times, but grilling or boiling them seem to me a bit too extreme of a measure to take...:ROFLMAO:

Now, see, I was searching to see what other meaning "brats" had, lol!

:LOL: I thought the post was about bratty kids until I read the post.

I strictly grill mine. I haven't ever tried soaking them in beer but may give that a shot in the future. I serve mine with onion and peppers and lots of mustard.

Oh, BRATWURT sausage! Thank you Sizzlinin....I am familiar with the sausage, just never come across the abbreviation.

Ah, Bratwurst!! thanks for the input, Sizzlin!! Never thought of that... yes, good stuff... personally I never cared for "boiling" any sausages, grilling or broiling is the way to go for me... also probably slitting them in half and pan searing would work, too, yes, onion and bell pepper will compliment them nicely.

I usually grill them first, then slice them and simmer in gravy (maybe not a way you could serve them in a restaurant, but this is the way to go when you have small kids! The only one in the family who doesn't like this is the dog who used to get some extra meat when the kids tried to handle their knife...

DH always said he didn't like Brats.....well I found out its because he had them broiled and never grilled. Turns out he does like them but likes them grilled.

I like to simmer them in beer and onions, then grill them...tender and very flavorful. I also strain the onions from the beer and add them to fresh ones and caramelize them all before mixing with a little bbq sauce. Makes a great topping with mustard. so good.

Robo410 said:
I like to simmer them in beer and onions, then grill them...tender and very flavorful. I also strain the onions from the beer and add them to fresh ones and caramelize them all before mixing with a little bbq sauce. Makes a great topping with mustard. so good.

i am going to try this. my bil states they are better if you simmer them
in beer first before grilling we have always grilled than simmered.
we have always loved them that way, it is also easy grill them before your
friends arrive put the brats in the beer whenever they want to eat they are still got and hot simmering in the beer.

i am going to try this Sunday

football party go Chiefs

grilled...indirect heat...heat very low...i dont mind waiting an hour for the perfect brat!!

I've only made turkey Brats (available at Whole Foods) for many many years now. If I'm grilling them outside, I just grill them over indirect heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, & then move them over direct heat for another 10 minutes, turning occasionally until brown.

If I'm doing them inside, I simmer them in water, chicken stock, or beer for around 10 minutes, again turning, & after the liquid cooks off, I add some extra-virgin olive oil to the pan & continue sauteing until they're browned & cooked through.

I used to brown them first & then simmer, but found that the simmering removed all of the attributes of the browning.

Anyone eat them with sauerkraut? I like to saute my sauerkraut a bit and eat it with sausages. Mmmmmmm. Never grilled my brats, but will give it a go.

Check out the Johnsonville beer brat hot tub.

I have an indoor grill, and grilled the brats (cheddar/beer flavor, as I recall) with potatoes o'brien (or hash browns), onions and peppers -- and melt a little cheddar on top, and served with corn on the cob. I have a recipe for brats made in apple juice with sauerkraut, that's on the 'to do' list.

I simmer mine in beer and onions and then throw on the grill.

If I am having a large party (which is usually only at my parents house since I don't have a grill) and people will be eating over a period of time I will grill them and then throw them into a tub of warm beer with onions. Then when someone wants a brawt they are already cooked and have stayed warm in the beer bath. That way I won't have to be at the grill the whole time.

I usually grill them. But, I have boiled them in beer with onion, and than broiled them. I love brats and sauerkraout and spicy mustard.

The mistake I most often see with brats and other sausages is cooking them too fast so they burn first and then to get the middle done, you have to overdo them. A brat or other sausage is done at 150 degrees. When cooked past that they break down the fat and become "mealy".

I prefer a slow grilling but I've enjoyed them from the simmering pan too.

Back
Top Bottom