"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question How Do You Tell if Ground Sausage is Still Good?

I'm well aware of the "when in doubt, throw it out" rule, but this has happened twice and I'm worried I'm throwing out good meat.

I typically only use ground sausage once a year. I haven't used any in a couple years though. Last year I opened a package that smelled weird, so I threw it out. It may have been stored improperly due to a failing freezer (where it had been stored) so I decided it was best to err on the side of caution.

Today I opened a package that was 2 days past the use by date of October 28 and it was gray on the outside, pink on the inside, and smelled weird. The smell is exactly like the smell from last year. I don't recall ground sausage ever smelling that way, so I assumed it was bad. Someone had moved it to the refrigerator door at some point, so I don't know if that made a difference or not. I usually keep meat near the back where it's colder, not in the door.

I wouldn't think sausage would be bad two days after the use by date. Any thoughts? I don't remember how sausage is supposed to smell. I'm gonna try to buy some this week and use it right away. The whole thing is still puzzling me though.

I was planning on having sausage and gravy for supper.

KateH21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That sausage doesn't sound good. Have you ever smelled it when it was fresh? Or defrosted properly after a short time?
Old 10-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Oddly enough, the universe gave me the answer. I took the lid off my cans/plastics recycle bin and was hit in the face by a horrible odor. It smelled exactly like the sausage. Most of the cans in the recycle bin are rinsed out pet food cans. So that told me right away that the sausage was bad both times.

I can't remember when the last time I cooked ground sausage was. I usually use it in my stuffing, but I don't think I've made that since 2016. Usually if I buy breakfast sausage, it's the maple links which has a totally different smell.

I can't believe storing meat in the door can make that much difference. I've always heard that it does, I've just never tested it out.
KateH21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
BTW Kate, welcome to Discuss Cooking.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Just remember that ground meats are contaminated from within by bacteria from the grinding process, so be careful.

Also food goes bad before it smells....

Tags
recipe, sage, sausage

How Do You Tell if Ground Sausage is Still Good? I'm well aware of the "when in doubt, throw it out" rule, but this has happened twice and I'm worried I'm throwing out good meat. I typically only use ground sausage once a year. I haven't used any in a couple years though. Last year I opened a package that smelled weird, so I threw it out. It may have been stored improperly due to a failing freezer (where it had been stored) so I decided it was best to err on the side of caution. Today I opened a package that was 2 days past the use by date of October 28 and it was gray on the outside, pink on the inside, and smelled weird. The smell is exactly like the smell from last year. I don't recall ground sausage ever smelling that way, so I assumed it was bad. Someone had moved it to the refrigerator door at some point, so I don't know if that made a difference or not. I usually keep meat near the back where it's colder, not in the door. I wouldn't think sausage would be bad two days after the use by date. Any thoughts? I don't remember how sausage is supposed to smell. I'm gonna try to buy some this week and use it right away. The whole thing is still puzzling me though. I was planning on having sausage and gravy for supper. :sad: 3 stars 1 reviews