How long do ham leftovers last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shiny_simon

Assistant Cook
My mother in law has gratiously offered to make split pea and ham soup from our leftover ham. The only thing that scares me is that the ham was cooked on the 24th, Xmas eve. It seems like a leftover ham might last longer than some other foods, but generally we go by the three to four day rule, and by that measure, this ham is already bad. Any comments?

3-4 days seems about right to me - next time, ask her to freeze it right after the meal if she's not going to eat it!

Three to four days is my rule too. It might still be good but why take chances.

i'd go 5 or 6 days with ham, even longer if my nose says it's ok.

it depends on how salty it was, how well it was wrapped afterwards, and how cold it was kept.

Last edited:
It can also depend on how well it has been preserved. If it has been stored properly, and the ham is salted enough, it should last up to about a week.
Besides you can tell when a ham has gone south. If it turns brownish or greenish, there is some slimy substance on the surface, or smells funny, it is a no brainer.
If the colour is healthy, the texture and the smell is healthy as well, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it will be ok. I had some last night and all seemed fine. The Mother In Law does make a heck of a good Split Pea & Ham soup.

Take care, and have a great New Years holiday!

Leftover smoked/cured ham DEFINITELY lasts a LOT longer than fresh ham/pork & other uncured meats. That was originally the whole point of curing meat to begin with - lol!!

That ham is absolutely fine to use - especially for something like such a terrific soup. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Left over ham

I agree with the thought that if it smells good and has been refrigerated it is ok. This is my first time ever on a site like this.:yum:

I keep my ham in an airtight container and it usually last more than a week. I smell it and if it smells fine and doesn't have a slimy coating it's good.

I keep my ham in an airtight container and it usually last more than a week. I smell it and if it smells fine and doesn't have a slimy coating it's good.
I agree. The health dept. at work states that if it's cooked throughly & stored properly it should be good 10 days from the date it was prepared.

Back
Top Bottom