How long do I cook pork tenderloin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vess3298

Assistant Cook
I have a marinaded 3.5 lb pork tenderloin. Approximately what time/temp do I bake it at?

Welcome to the site, vess!

I am the absolute world's worst to answer this question, since I have YET to have one turn out less than arid, but I know that the resident wisdom will post soon.

Good to have you with us!

Try this one: roast at 350 for an hour or an hour and 15 minutes. This from a recipe for a rubbed rather than marinated tenderloin, but I believe it would work as well.

Oh, RAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE!! need your attention here.

HMMM!

I''m surprised at the size of that hog, too!

Anyways, season and "rub" the meat, then brown it in a cast fry pan...

(Note I did a line on plyllo wrapped pork tenderloin a while ago that's really good...copied from Emeril with a couple tweaks)

You can transfer that back to the roasting pan, and put it in the oven at 325...for a "normal" sized pork tenderloin, I'd say 25-30 minutes, given the oven's fully heated up, but with a slice this big, plan for somewhere around an hour, and use the digital temp probe...

If you want it really good, don't overcook it...we have all been eating "dry as dust" pork roasts due to the so-called "fear" of Trycchuconosis, or whateve its called, where in fact not a single North American has died or been sickened by this in over 40 years...pork tastes really good if only done to "Medium" or even "medium rare" (try this out with thick cut pork chops on the grill!)...

I'd be tempted to be "stabbing" it and inserting garlic chunks, maybe pineapple pieces or apple slices, and/or slicing it up the middle and stuffing it with something sort of "wet" that would "leak" favourable flavours into the meat...and/or laying a few slices of fat over the "work" to keep the outsides from drying out...

Lifter

I agree with Lifter (he know his way around a kitchen). Pork is now considered safe at 155 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer and bring the meat to a temperatre of about 150 degrees. REmove from the oven and let it rest. The meat will continue to cook, with the internal temperature rising about five more degrees.

I would salt all slides and place the tenderloin in a 450' oven for fifteen minutes, reduce the heat to 400, and finish it in the hot oven until its done. The meat will be browned nicely, especially any fat on the outside of the meat.

If the meat has sufficient fat, it will baste itself (make sure the fat side is up). It if is mostly fat free, again as lifter said, poke slitls in the meat and place fresh garlic cloves into half of them. Place lardoons in the other half of the slits.

What are lardoons? Pork used to be loaded with fat. The fat was prized for use in making lard, drippings, even soap. Our more health conscious society now prizes lean meat. This serves to make the meat drier, and more tricky to cook. Lardoons are simply pieces of raw fat, slice into almond-sized slivers, and stuffed into small slits in the meat. It is a French technique that has been used with pork for more years than I've been alive. It makes the meat more juicy and flavorful.

Though Emirell often drives me nuts with his schtik, he was a very serious chef before he became famous, and has a deep love of food. And as he says so often on his show, "It's a pork fat kind of thing". Pork fat does taste great (as does most cooked fat). You just have to use it sparingly, and for flavor rather than substance.

In the orient, and France, fat nets are used for the same purpose. I have never seen a fat net in a grocery store and have no idea where you dould get one. But you can find the occasonal roast with way more fat than is useful for that roast. I get one every now and again, cut the fat off, cut into the right-sized pices, and freeze it for later use as lardoons, flavoring for baked beans or bean soup, etc. It also enhances the flavor of food on the barbecue.

Try this techniqe to make your tenderloin more tender, juicy, and flavorful.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love pork tenderloin :D Such a simple piece of meat that marinates so well and is always tender and juicy. I cook mine at 350 degrees. I cook it 20 minutes per pound. My tenderloins are generally only 1 1/2 pounds though. When it gets to about 5 minutes before time is up I check to see what the temp of the meat is. I cook it till the themometer reads 155 degrees. I let my meat rest 5 minutes before slicing. The meat will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute through the meat. After all said and done the meats usually at 160 degrees when served. I don't like to see any pink when it comes to pork. It always comes out tender and juicy.

Well, dadgummit! I have "leatherized" more pork tenderloins than Ellie Mae made biscuit ammunition for Uncle Jed! Obviously, I'm creamating the stuff (I usually STOP cooking around 160). I've thought about brining (of course!), but haven't forced myself to risk wasting a good piece of pork. After reading and re-reading you guys, I will!

Hi I'm new to the forums and I just thought I would weigh in on this. I have been hearing lately that there are no more cases of trichinosis, and it's just not true. In fact there are a small number (very small) of cases in the United States each year. And there are cases of trichinosis every year worldwide. Since the early part of the last century there has been a great decrease in the number of infections due to a few important reasons. It's partly because of what they have been feeding the pigs, but mainly it's because people don't eat undercooked pork anymore.

Cooking pork safely is easy. Trichinella spiralis dies at about 137 degrees farhenheit. All you have to do is cook the pork to 150 and you have a great margin of error for having killed all the Trichinella spiralis. If you are eating your pork medium rare then it's not safe and you are at risk for infection. Freezing pork for several weeks in a very cold freezer also kills Trichinella spiralis but it's less reliable, especially for very thick cuts of pork.

It's easy to find information on this on the internet. Just do a google search for raw pork infection.

As for the original question? I don't think you have a tenderloin, I think you have a pork loin roast. A tenderloin is a lot smaller and leaner. Tenderloin is small enough that they can be grilled over charcoal. I like to sear them in a pan and then finish them in a hot oven for a few minutes. I have never cooked pork loin, but if I were going to I would roast at 350 until it reads 150 fahrenheit on my thermometer.

Goodweed of the North said:
I agree with Lifter (he know his way around a kitchen). Pork is now considered safe at 155 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer and bring the meat to a temperatre of about 150 degrees. REmove from the oven and let it rest. The meat will continue to cook, with the internal temperature rising about five more degrees.
I second the idea to use temp instead of time. I usually shoot for 140 to 145 though and let it raise to 145 to 150. Remember, 155 is lawyer safe :evil: .

Once upon a time my mom was making a tenderloin and I convinced her to go by temp instead of time - using the temp indicated by the recipe, it was ready more than 20min ahead of schedule and tasted perfect!

Fine Cooking Magazine says 145-150 for Med Pork. I stop at a bit shy of 140 degrees cover and let it coast up to the 145 point before slicing.

I use one of these electronic Polder probe and thermo/timer things. I know how to do it otherwise but this lets me space out or have a glass of wine and not cremate the meal.

Goodweed of the North said:
I agree with Lifter (he know his way around a kitchen). Pork is now considered safe at 155 degrees F.

I hope you get tiis by 10:00p tonight.

If the brining takes ovet 12 hours.

I have a 3-4 LB bonless pork loin. I want to try the "Brineing"
I found recipes for chops etc, to be brined for 2 hours.

How long should I brine this loin roast???

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Hungry

By experience with chicken and turkey, it depends on the quantity of salt...

More salt=less time
Less salt=more time

1/2 cup salt per gallon of water for long brining (up to 12 hours)
1 cup salt per gallon for "short" brining

BTW it is no where etched in stone that you need to use water, as such...if you used apple juice or pineapple juice, you'd get some very interesting flavours, as well as the benefits of the acids which, in my opinion, do much to tenderise the meat...

Since you are using an already tender cut of loin, that would argue the "short brine" method...but remember, when you brine chops, it works through very "quickly", as they are much thinner than your roast now will be...go for 4-6 hours, in my opinion...

Feel free to add some herbs to the brine, as these can make the meal that much more pleasant an experience, and "more is better" as the herbs are pretty weak in finite quantity...

(you are heating the brine, dissolving your salts, "flowering" your herbs, then cooling, before inserting the meat, and refridgerating the lot, aren't you?)(I thought so!)

The combined use of garlic cloves and "lardoons" in slits cut in the meat (after taking out of the brine, obviously before cooking) works fantastically! Hold them in place with toothpicks, so you can dig them out before carving...

If you don't "happen" to have spare pork fat chunks to slice into "lardoons", then simply pinning strips of side bacon around your loin will work almost as well...unless you have more than normal fat on this roast...

I did this a week ago today for dinner, and wife and daughter just "inhaled" the stuff, accompanied by mashed potato's, and, of course, the gravy I was able to parlay out of the drippings...(note I was using tenderloin, but the cuts are close enough that you will likely get close results!)

You are in for a really delicious meal!

Best Regards,

Lifter

Lifter said:
Hi Hungry

By experience with chicken and turkey, it depends on the quantity of salt...

More salt=less time
Less salt=more time

1/2 cup salt per gallon of water for long brining (up to 12 hours)
1 cup salt per gallon for "short" brining

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks for the response.

I'll use your recommendation 1/2 cup salt per gallon and brine for 4 hours.
Roast with the bacon strips for a little more fat. This roast is very lean.

The way I roast is probably closer to boiling. I use a dry rub, then place in the roast pan with a can of Chicken Broth, cover the pan with foil and roast at 300 degrees.

Thanks again,
Charlie

Trichinosis is extremely rare in the US, and near non-exisitant in pork from commercially raised pigs. The modern diet of farm raised pigs has much more to do with the safer nature of the product than the change in cooking. At any rate, 137 is enough to kill it, and I try not to ever let the pork go over 145.

Pork is good cooked with liquid, but I prefer roasting with nice dry heat. For me the crustiness of the outside is key.

As everyone has pointed out, you must mean pork loin, not t-loin. I can't imagine how tloin could get that big! :roll: To prepare a porkloin, I trim the chain but leave the fat cap, and give it a good dusting of Montreal Seasoning/Canada's Best Steak seasoning. I insert an electronic temp probe into the end & back into the roast, then cook it uncovered on a roasting rack at 250-275. I always set the temp alarm at 135- if you're worried, then set it for 140. When it goes off I'll turn the oven to broil for about 7-10 minutes to brown the top (you'll lose less moisture applying the high heat at the end as opposed to searing it first). Between the high heat phase and carry over cooking, your loin will be well up into the safe temp range.

Once the pork is "done", let it sit & rest for 15 minutes. This will allow the heat to migrate thru the meat, plus it will let the juices settle. Otherwise, when you cut into it it'll "juice out" all over the plate. Giving it a rest will prevent all the moisture from running out.

Hi Charlie

Do us both a favour and, after "brining" and "tenting" as you suggest, remove the tent after about 30-40 minutes, using heat a little higher, say 325-350?

Strict attention to the "internal meat thermometer", of course!

The broth and the bacon will merge quite nicely...a "stab" or three on the shoulders with fruit or garlic or "lardoons" (or all!!) will make it neccessary to invite both me and GoodWeedoftheNorth to sample and critique it...

Lifter

Lifter said:
Hi Charlie

Do us both a favour and, after "brining" and "tenting" as you suggest, remove the tent after about 30-40 minutes, using heat a little higher, say 325-350?Lifter

Hello Liferm

Surprise, Surprise! After all the talk about my pork loin, I opened the wrong package. I had two packages in the freezer both labeled pork loin. One was pork loin the other was two tender loins in the same package. I opened the tenderloins. I had my brining mixture ready so I thought here is a chance to tell the difference. Brine one and do the other my old proven way.
I rubbed both down with my dry rub, put them in the roasting pan, added 1/2 can of chicken broth, “Tented” with foil and roasted at 300 degrees until the internal temperature reached 135, removed the foil and roasted another 15 minutes. They never got much of a crust; I probably should have removed the foil sooner. ( I didn't follow your instructions :cry:
“The proof of the pudding is in the eating”! Both of the loins were GREAT!
The brined one was a little bit softer. That’s the best word I can come up with to describe the difference. Served with corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and Gravy.

Too bad you and “Goodweed” couldn’t make it!

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi "Hungry" Charlie

If I'd known that you had tenderloins (noting this was dinner tonight at our house!), I'd said go with your dry rub, allow it to sit and set up, then sear in a frying pan to "crust" it...

Pin on your bacon strips, in this case, and put on a grilling pan...into the oven at about 350 (I'm still "playing" with this...325-400...but "DRY HEAT"), leave cook until the interior is about 145...

Remove and "tent" on the stove top, as it will be so juicy that you will get significant drippings by waiting 15-20 minutes, which makes the gravy making that much easier, and you will probably get a lot more when you carve this...

Great stuff isn't it?

I did a broccholi with Asiago Cheese sauce (our family fave!) but you gotta think about doing some really good corn, if I'd got my sorry butt into gear and cut and frozen same last summer...

Lifter

pork tenderloin

I am a new member but have plenty of real experience in commercial kitchens. i agree with everybody else, how can a pork tenderloin weigh more than 3 pounds. In australia we use kg and that is not possible for a tenderloin. at the risk of sounding arrogant I believe that you have a pork loin fillet. i believe that the best way to deal with a loin fillet that has been deboned is to wrap it in foil with some aromatics, thyme and sage are a good start as they cut the naturally fatty properties of pork and some garlic wouldn't go astray either. if you want some recipes to deal with a pork loin fillet please email me at simonhanmer@hotmail.com. Some easy suggestions would be, firstly do not cook the pork beyond medium and ensure that you allow it to rest (as already suggested) for a couple of minutes. We use celcius in Australia so i think no more than 200 degrees. the heat setting depends on the thickness of the fat as you will need less temperature if there is a particulrly thin layer of fat. Try serving with caramalized honey and apple sauce with a touch of cinnamon or if you are going for a more asian feel mabye a chilli, vanilla and ginger syrup. Rememeber that pork is awful overcooked and dry and is superb with a little sweetness to accompany. CHEERS.

Hi All

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would post for any new people. I'm a pork farmers wife and I can tell you that it's easy to get a 3.5lb tenderloin. It came from a sow instead of a market pig. Market pigs are about 260lb whereas sows are 400lbs+. And yes, trichinosis is still around, but mostly found in pasture raised pigs/wild boar, since it is a ground borne parasite (worm). It is nearly eradicated in barn-raised pigs. In fact, it is no longer a reportable disease. So it's safe to enjoy your pork with a hint of pink.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom