How much pork to buy for Father's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, 6 adults and one 8 year old. I have a few questions about a fathers day dinner I was thinking about.

1. How big of a pork loin should I buy?

2. I want to cook it on 375 degrees. Is it about 20 minutes per pound?

3. Is there any special pork loin I should get at the grocery store or ask at the butcher?

Four pounds of boneless pork loin should do the trick. A larger one will give yu leftovers.

I cook by temperature rather than time so I can only estimate theat 20 minutes a pound sounds close.

thanks, Oh boy and my choices get even tougher. The butcher on the phone says:

choose between
Inspirations (not enhanced)
or
Smithfields (enhanced with water and salt solution)

choose between

Boneless (for 6 adults probably have to buy 3-4 lbs
or
bone in (for 6 adults probalby have to buy 6-7 lbs

I don't think I've ever cooked a bone in pork roast. I think I've always cooked boneless ones.

Any suggestions?

I would go with a bone in. They take longer to cook but

I think they have much more flavor. I also cook pork loin at a lower temp than 375. I cook at 325 unless I am in a hurry then at 350.
If I am cooking a pork tenderloin then I brown in the pan over high heat and put in a 450 oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

If you choose the Smithfield, it is already brined for you. The downside is that it will cost more than the store brand (Hanneford's?). You are paying pokr prices for salt and water. However, it saves your doing it yourself and it makes a difference in the finished product.

Go for the boneless, it's easier to cook.

I'll just plug Aldi's pork for a moment. Fantastic pork and dirt cheap.

Definitely boneless. It'll be SO much easier to carve the roast.

How are you planning to season it? Garlic, marjoram, black pepper and salt (unless it's brined) is always great for pork loin roast. I do mine at 350, YMMV.

I am with the fresh (not pre-brined) bone-in crowd, and the lower temp crowd as well ... Porketta seasoning is good on boneless, but I'd go more traditional with a bone-in. Slower and lower will melt that fat into YUM. My experience with pre brined and marinated meats is that it takes on a cured texture. I recently tried a pre-seasoned pork tenderloin that was strangely rubbery, even cooked to a medium doneness. Ick.

I haven't tried Aldi's meats, they have wierd hours here. Given recent economics, I think I'm headed in their direction real soon!

4 to 5 lbs but can I give you a hint.
Season really well..
start the roast, fat side UP on a rack at 450F for 30 minutes then turn down to 275 for 4 hours. Check with a meat thermometer. Remove when its about to hit 160. Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. You will have a really good, moist tender loin.

I have been cooking a lot of these recently...

Last edited:
I'm doing this tomorrow and still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I bought a center cut pork loin...little over 4lbs. butcher said he didn't recommend searing it and that is what i was thinking of doing (hmmm). The directions the butcher put on the roast was 325 degrees at 25-30 minutes per pound.

I also have done this with smaller roasts and would like to do this too i think.

Layer your finely diced carrot, onion and celery in the bottom of a small roasting tray and put the bay leaf on top. These vegetables will soften and get lightly browned during roasting, which will give some depth to the gravy you’ll make with them at the end.

legend, there are lots of ways to make this a tasty roast. If you want to sear it, then do so. But you don't have to.

If you want to cook it at 400 or 325 or another temperature, go for it. You can cook the roast properly at more than one temperature.

Don't stress out, do what you are comfortable with and enjoy the day.

I gave it a good searing and than popped it into the oven at 375 degrees until the temperature reached 155 and than I let it sit while I warmed up the homemade mashed potatoes and acorn squash/spinache/cheese mixture plus made the gravy. 3 cups of broth (including juices from pan), 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of flour did the trick for the gravy. The pork roast was very juicy and very yummy. Plus we had rolls and nana made the deserts.

I think the roast was taking out of the oven close to 3:30pm and it was put in at 2:30pm. I had to change where the thermator was a few times as it said it was done a few times and I just KNEW it wasn't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom