How to Cook Country-Style Pork Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I found some ribs at a great price so I decided to pick them up as I haven't made them in a LONG time. My only problem is that DH doesn't like a lot of BBQ sauce and the only other thing to cook them in, that I've seen, is with pasta sauce. I understand that they need to be cooked in a liquid so I am fishing for some other way to make them tasty and tender but also how DH likes them. Any ideas would be wonderful!!

Ooops...I gues that would be helpful!!! ;)
In the oven, crock pot, or toaster oven with a convection oven option.

i used to cook for an assisted living facility and had several residents who were not BBQ friendly and i always had great results by wrapping them air tight in foil and cooking them in the oven at 225 for 3-4 hours. as far as flavoring the ribs i would just use a personal rub on them before wrapping them...didn't need a sauce when these babies came out cus they were awesome just with the rub alone.

best of luck :)

One idea....season the meat (heavily) with a good rub...made up of your favorite spices...place on a wire rack or roasting pan... place in the oven at 225* until nice and tender...You can choose to sauce or not the last few minutes...this is low and slow dry roasting.
Another idea...again season the meat with a good rub....place in a Pyrex type dish...add just a little water..maybe 1/4 cup...cover tightly with foil...place in the oven at 250* and cook until tender...this is akin to brazing/steaming...Sauce is optional...Another option would be to uncover the meat the last few minutes.. broil to brown up the meat..Do so.before saucing if you choose to sauce so the sauce want burn
The second idea would also work in a CP...Dry rub...very little water....cook until tender....
Hope this helps...and I really hope it makes sense!!!:LOL:

Thanks guys! And yes UB, I gotcha!! ;)
I am not very spice-savvy...what type of spices do you recommend? We like a some heat and nothing too overpowering.

I've seen rubs made from everything under the sun...Some popular ingredients would be...Salt, Pepper, Cayenne (for heat) Sugar (commonly brown) garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, dry mustard (Colman's) cumin etc. Use what you have and what you like....Mix it up prior to applying to the meat...make it taste good!!! Also...you can coat the meat with a thin layer of yellow mustard prior to applying the rub...This helps the rub adhere to the meat...Don't worry...you will not taste it after the cooking process..:) Again...just use what you like, and what you have on hand...mostly just..

Have Fun!!! ;)

How about "sweet n sour ribs"?

2-4 lbs pork side ribs
1/2 cup flour
olive oil sauce
1 1/2 cups golden brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water

Cut ribs into individual pieces. Shake in flour in a bag and brown in olive oil in a frying pan.Next, put ribs into a covered roaster. Make the sauce by whisking all ingredients together. Pour over ribs and cover roaster.
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes and then another 1 1/4 hours at 275°F. turn them over a few times while cooking.

I prefer the country-style ribs to spare ribs. They have much more meat on those bones. I cook them low and slow (covered) in the oven, so they will be really tender, and the last 20 or so minutes, brush them (over and over) with my "famous" secret recipe Barbecue sauce.

Shooooooooooot! now you're making me hungry, and I just finished lunch.:huh:

There are actually two different methods to make country style ribs juicy and tender. The first, low and slow, has been talked about in the above posts. You can use dry rubs, or sweet & sour sauce, with this cooking technique. You can also season with salt and pepper, and then spread a fruity sauce such as apple sauce, or peach preserves onto the meat when serving. Cooked bananas, spiced with cinnamon work well with the pork as well. You can use cherries, or pineapple, apple, peaches, apricots, or nectarines. Papaya works well too.

My personal favorite way to cook country style ribs is on my Webber Kettle, over a solid bed of charcoal, with apple wood placed on the coals. Season the meat with salt and pepper, or substitute Adolph's meat tenderizer for the salt,a and stab thoroughly with a fork. Place on the grill and cover. Close all vents half way and cook to a meat temperature of 150' F. Remove and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with sweet potatoes and a bright green veggie. Again, I like to top these with a good apple sauce, though I have used a dry rub with these.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

There are actually two different methods to make country style ribs juicy and tender. The first, low and slow, has been talked about in the above posts. You can use dry rubs, or sweet & sour sauce, with this cooking technique. You can also season with salt and pepper, and then spread a fruity sauce such as apple sauce, or peach preserves onto the meat when serving. Cooked bananas, spiced with cinnamon work well with the pork as well. You can use cherries, or pineapple, apple, peaches, apricots, or nectarines. Papaya works well too.

My personal favorite way to cook country style ribs is on my Webber Kettle, over a solid bed of charcoal, with apple wood placed on the coals. Season the meat with salt and pepper, or substitute Adolph's meat tenderizer for the salt,a and stab thoroughly with a fork. Place on the grill and cover. Close all vents half way and cook to a meat temperature of 150' F. Remove and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with sweet potatoes and a bright green veggie. Again, I like to top these with a good apple sauce, though I have used a dry rub with these.

Enjoy.

Oh thats outstanding.

All of the afore mentioned are mighty good. I would only add that country style ribs seasoned with just salt and pepper, cooked low and slow, are mighty good on their own merit. Served with mashed potatoes, maybe some snaps or butterbeans, homemade biscuits...Shucks, now I'm hungry!!!!
In the crockpot with sauerkraut is mighty good too.

Hoot, you beat me to it.
I really like to season them with salt and pepper, sear in a pan, then cook for
an hour or so in sauerkraut. I add a sliced onion, a bit of pickling spice and some
garlic to the pot, and as much water as needed to float everything.
Just before serving, I make quickie dumplings with flour and egg!
One of my favorite meals; unfortunately, not one of my wife's, so I rarely eat it, sighhh.

Hoot, you beat me to it.
I really like to season them with salt and pepper, sear in a pan, then cook for
an hour or so in sauerkraut. I add a sliced onion, a bit of pickling spice and some
garlic to the pot, and as much water as needed to float everything.
Just before serving, I make quickie dumplings with flour and egg!
One of my favorite meals; unfortunately, not one of my wife's, so I rarely eat it, sighhh.

I'm drooling !! That's just what my darling daddy would do with them too.
My husband doesn't like kraut either......hinting for a dinner invite.

Come on over! Hey, we could meet in Kansas City somewhere, have a big Ribs and Kraut cookfest!
Now I'm drooling too!

Ya know, one thing I haven't tried with country style ribs that must might be great is to put them into a foil pouch with some onion, spuds or rice, carrots, garlic, and butter, all seasoned with S & P. I bet that would be pretty tasty.

Another favorite with country style ribs that hasn't been mentioned is to quickly cook them over charcoal, and then immerse into a pot of baked beans that are just starting to cook, with onion pieces, molasses, a bit of mustard, and brown sugar. Sometimes I'll substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar. Optionally, throw in a hint of chili powder to add a bit of zing.

This really could go on forever you know. The ribs and beans could be enhanced by cooking the ribs over charcoal with mesquite, or apple wood too.

And don't forget about bean soup. The ribs would add such flavor to a good bean soup.

Yep, it's official. I'm now hungry.:LOL:

Oh, and my wife doesn't like kraut either.:( I dont' get to eat it but once in a blue moon, when she's off somewhere, and I know she'll be fed there instead of at home.

Baked in an oven bag or a crock pot with apple juice, ripe bell peppers, a little brown sugar and garlic will give you a refreshing alternative.

I agree with Uncle Bob.. dry roast in an oven is great way to cook them. I like Emeril's seasoning.. just liberally coat them.

Back
Top Bottom