Ideas for pancetta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billdolfski

Senior Cook
I was at the store recently and though I didn't have any plans for it, I don't usually see it around here so I picked some up.

Any ideas of what I could do with it, any recipes? I'm sure I could use in a sauce or something, but it on a sandwich. Do I cook it or use as is?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Billdolfski said:
I was at the store recently and though I didn't have any plans for it, I don't usually see it around here so I picked some up.

Any ideas of what I could do with it, any recipes? I'm sure I could use in a sauce or something, but it on a sandwich. Do I cook it or use as is?

Any suggestions are welcome.
You will need to cook the pancetta. Try a BLT using pancetta instead of our smokey bacon..Wonderful.
I sometimes buy it in a chunk instead of thin slices, cut it into cubes, fry to crisp and blend it into polenta along with parmesan,any white cheese that melts well ( not cheddar tho) some butter,salt and pepper. Or take those same cubes of crisp pancetta and toss them into a salad.. I also add pancetta to some of my pasta sauces. Hope this will help a little.

kadesma:)

A well known chef is doing an advert or a UK supermarket at the moment, with a recipe I have given to DH to adapt as its simple but gorgeous after work, here is our version:

Cubed pumpkin/squash (he is using kabocha), strips of pancetta, whole peeled chestnuts, a little evoo, and sage, all tossed in evoo and roasted. Near the end he puts a little Gorgonzola in to just melt over some of it and he is having this twice a week at the moment...

if it`s Very thinly sliced, then if you get some Chicken or even turkey breast and cut that into strips about 1.5cms around, get a chili pepper like Jalapeno and cut that into strips too.
then lay the peper strip ontop of the poulty strip and wrap in the pancetta slice and pin it with a toothpick.

lightly oil a baking tray with olive oil and arrange them on there so that they fit nicely with even spacing.
and then cook for 15-20 mins on medium to high heat (depending on the ovens efficiency).

these are nice served with a salad or even a simple dip, but please take the toothpicks out 1`st :P

Funny you should mention it -- we're just about to eat some!

We use pancetta (and other fat-streaked pork like from the neck area) in what we call a 'lemonato' which pretty obviously means lemon cooking.

We brown the pork in some olive oil and then pour over it the juice of a couple of lemons and a bit of water, salt, and plenty of coarsely-ground black pepper (and/or whole peppercorns). Cover and let simmer on a fairly low heat for 30 or 40 minutes, topping up the liquid as needed (with more water).

The result is just meltingly tender with a wonderful, wonderful flavor. Very simple and a great favorite of everyone in the family.

Take thin strips of pancetta, dates and Stilton.
Remove the pit from the date, stuff with Stilton, wrap with pancetta, bake in the oven 10 - 15 minutes until crispy. Mmmm..

Render fat of pancetta and add the bits when making bolognese sauce for spaghetti or lasagna.

it`s also nice wrapped around Asparagus spears too, I seem to rem a Jamie Oliver recipe that did exactly that.

Is it pancetta affumicata (smoked)? Or dolce? (mild)
Usually pancetta can replace where bacon goes beautifully, personally I prefer smoked version for many dishes, but the mild one is better for certain dishes, usually with delicate flavoured dishes. (For spaghetti carbonara for instance, pancetta dolce works better.)
Also either wrap or use as stuffing for roasts with fresh herbs, when you use a lean cut. It adds a very rich flavour.

gotta have it for linguini alla putanesca (pancetta onions garlic olives capers anchovies) it's just the best sauce out there!

pancetta will go with any roast vegetable ...roast together inthe oven. drizzle evoo and balsamic vinegar at the end. sprouts! asparagus! cauliflower, whatever. great stuff!

Back
Top Bottom