Improve this recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SubwayScriptures

Assistant Cook
Hey all:

I'm fairly new to cooking as wanted to know if anyone had ways to add-on to this meal. It's pretty basic so any ideas are appreciated. Basically it goes...

Cut a thin filet(?) pork into small strips, maybe an inch long and a half inch wide. Combine with broccoli florets and add soy sauce, black pepper, and some form of hot sauce (in this case, tabasco). Mix well, then stir-fry. Serve over brown rice (steamed).

Pretty much I want to add more to this meal to make it more complete. Maybe another side, or better spices/seasoning? Any ideeas would be greattt... :)

Hey all:

I'm fairly new to cooking as wanted to know if anyone had ways to add-on to this meal. It's pretty basic so any ideas are appreciated. Basically it goes...

Cut a thin filet(?) pork into small strips, maybe an inch long and a half inch wide. Combine with broccoli florets and add soy sauce, black pepper, and some form of hot sauce (in this case, tabasco). Mix well, then stir-fry. Serve over brown rice (steamed).

Pretty much I want to add more to this meal to make it more complete. Maybe another side, or better spices/seasoning? Any ideeas would be greattt... :)

This sounds like the basis for a good stir-fry! :) whenever I make stir-fry vegetables, I always top with strips of pork, and serve over rice of some kind. Why don't you try stir-frying some veggies to put over the rice, and put the pork either over top or on the side of that? Good vegetables to use are the typical asian variety for stir frying--water chesnuts, bamboo slices, bean sprouts, and straw mushrooms. also those little veggies that look like small cobs of corn... You can get all those in cans, in the asian isle at your supermarket. I also like to add onions and brocoli to my stir frys. Zuchini squash is also good, as are green beans of all varieties.

Just put the veggies with a little butter or oil in a very hot skillet, and keep the contents moving over high heat until they are done. This is why its called a stir-fry, not a stir-steam. :) the key is to keep the veggies moving so they don't burn. if you lower the temperature and let the veggies rest, they'll start to steam. that's not really a bad thing, but the veggies will be a bit softer. I tend to do a mix of the both, due to the fact I'm generally too lazy to keep stirring my veggies risotto style when I have other aspects of the meal to prepare. Season with salt, pepper, and optionally soy sauce.

I hope this helps. :)

try some chinese 5 spice, marinade the pork in soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli, and 5 spice for a few hours, maybe some thyme aswell

might need sweetening up a bit aswell, i usually use honey or some brown sugar

As far as something to go with this, how about egg rolls, cream cheese/crab wonton, egg drop soup, or egg foo yung? For dessert, you could deep fry refrigerator biscuits and roll in sugar.

onion was mentioned, and i would specifically recommend green onion

if you are going to sweeten it up, a bit of pineapple juice might be nice

sesame oil could add a nice flavor too, if you like that sort of thing

Wow guys, all great tips.

With the limited items that I have, I thought onions would be an easy addition and a good choice. If I had some garlic handy i'd definitely do that, guess I have to add that to the shopping list. I'm going to be cooking this in a few minutes (waiting for the rice to make some progress in the steamer). I'll be sure to check in later tonight and let you all know how it went.

Thanks!

Oh, I have another question:

So I've been cooking broccoli a lot, either stir frying or steaming it or however. I can make good use of the florets, but I wanted to know if there was a good way to cut the stem to make it edible/presentable? I want to use the stem so I can make better use of the broccoli and not throw so much away, but haven't found a good way to do so yet. Ideas?

You can peel the main broccoli stalk with a vegetable peeler, just like you would a carrot. Then, just slice or chunk the stem into pieces and cook along with your florets. :)

By the way, next time you stir-fry, try a little sherry. Real dry sherry, not the "cooking" kind. It really makes the sauce, imho!

Also, there's a cookbook called "How to Cook without a Book" (or something like that) which has a chapter on winging together weeknight stir fries, if you're interested.

hot

If you are into hot food...add some chilli sauce or jalapeños when you stir fry it. Also some salsa or some tomato base sauce....enjoy

SS: if you don't dry off the pork before you cook it, it won't fry at all. When meat is wet, it just steams in the juice. Pat it dry with paper towels before tossing it into the wok.

FWIF, here's a link to that book, "How to Cook without a Book." It's by Pam Anderson.

I love sesame oil in my stir fry. Not too much, but a bit. And sesame seeds, too. They toast nicely in the stir fry if you add them at the end.

I sense health consiousness.& so since your steaming, your rice I'd do a favorite veggie or two as sides, something with color, also since your already stir-fryin
you might intertain the idea of mushrooms and a
sauce/gravey.,.w/your favorite spices to pour over
your pork-rice portion..and bread, something toasted,
whole-wheat.....Yea....chase it with cold beer, icey mug.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom