Internal Temp. of Pork Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
i have a 1 lb piece of pork tenderloin. i am going to pan sear the outside, then wrap it in maple cured bacon and bake it.

i read on the package that i should do it at 20 mins per Lb, and let internal temp get to 155, but when i look at my meat thermometer, it says that the done temp of pork is 175.

which is correct?? i have heard that you can get very sick from undercooked pork, and i dont want that to happen, but i dont want to eat dry - tough pork either.

help!!

the nasty little parasites that used to inhabit slop fed pork (trichinosis) are killed at 137*...pork is now fed a lean feed..a lovely tenderloin should be cooked till slightly pink...about 145-150*

enjoy...it's very safe

but if you want dry sawdust...cook it till 175*

update: pulled it out at 150*..let it sit for 15 mins..then had at it (<<< is that a technicaly correct cullinary term??)

it was fantastic!!!

only prob i had was when trying to slice it into 1/2 inch pieces..the bacon kept coming off. i used toothpicks to keep bacon on during the cooking part. next time i might try butchers string.

does anyone have any ideas in this area??

What a delightful way to cook a tenderloin! I have a recipe that calls for marinating it in lots of garlic, rosemary, balsamic vinegar and oil (of course salt & pepper) for about 20 minutes and now I'll wrap that in the bacon and I would use butcher's string to tie it up. Oh no! Now keyboard all wet with drool!

Thanks for the idea!

kewl linda...here a tip...spend the last few mins with the oven on broil, and rotate the loin every 2 mins to get the bacon nice and crispy!!

Maybe cut a few slits 1/2" deep into the meat, running lengthwise, then stuff a piece of bacon into the slits. Tie the tenderloin with kitchen twine to keep it's shape, then roast. When it's done, remove the twine, cut, and serve. Of course, the bacon won't get crispy this way.

Personally I find the taste of bacon for applications like this too overpowering.The bacon wrapped filet mignon is the perfect example of an expensive piece of beef tasting like bacon.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom