ISO Authentic Pork Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
On Saturday, we are having a Hawaiian Theme pot-luck/pig roast. Due to lack of funds, we will settle for 30 pounds of fresh ham for our pork. I am looking for a recipe that will give me authentic Hawaiian flavor that can be made on a Webber kettle, in a slow cooker, a dutch oven, or in the oven.

I can work with the whole hams, or cut them into strips or cubes, or even into a flat ribbon of meat for roulaide-style dishes. I have available to me citrus fuits, bananas, fresh coconut, coconut milk, abd some tropical fruits such as mangoes, pineapple, and papaya.

I was even thinking that I could cut pork medalians and make coconut-breaded medalians with a pineapple sweet and sour sauce.

I would like to be more authentic than that though, if possible. Help me out. I know we have some Hawaiians on the site.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm not from Hawaii, I'm not Hawaiian, I've never had a Hawaiian inspired ham, but you know it does sound good with coconut bananas and pineapple. Toast the coconut. That's the best I can do, so sorry.

So, Goodweed, what did you make, did everyone like it and was it fun?

I made pulled pork, smoked pork that was smoked for an hour with apple wood, then slow roasted with banana, and braised slabs of ham with mango, pineapple, papaya, and a wet rub made with soy sauce, chili powder, onion, and white sugar.

Everything came out wonderful and there was very little left after all was said and done. I do have to say though that I almost ruined the braised pork as the papaya gave it a very bitter flavor. I had to drain all the juices from the pan and replace with a combination of soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and pineapple juice. You could still taste the other flavors, but the bitterness was removed. I had to continue cooking the roast for about 3 hours to get the new flavors to replace the old. I wasn't satisfied with the results as it caused the pork to overcook and made it somewhat dry. But everyone else thought it was amazing. The pulled pork and smoked pork with banana came out great, nice and succulent, with the flavors I was targeting. I was a success to everyone else but myself. Next time, I'm omitting the papaya and cooking to 160' final temp with fresh ham.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom