ISO Fillings for Pork Tenderloin Roulade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have a pork tenderloin that is going to be prepared tonight, along with Louisiana style spareribs. I'm thinking about slicing the tenderloin into thin rounds, and making roulaides. Anybody have a savory filling, preferably without cream cheese, that works well for this purpose. Even if you've never tried it, but think it will taste great, and make for tender bites, I'm up for every suggestion. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

how about sweating some sliced fennel and sweet onions in butter, then mix together with fresh thyme, cubed white bread, and a good coupla splashes of balsamic vinegar for a filling, chief?

I have only made this with a boneless pork loin. I am thinking of trying it with a cheese added to the filling. Maybe feta or a smoked or regular gouda cheese.

MsMofet's Stuffed pork loin roast

• Boneless pork loin (butterflied)
  • Mushroom caps - chopped small
  • Onion - chopped small
  • Chopped Spinach - fresh (steamed) or frozen (thawed) - squeeze dry
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
Herbs and Spices - to taste:
  • Granulated Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Goya Adobo seasoning
  • Accent (or MSG) - optional
  • Ground Sea Salt
  • Ground peppercorn blend
  • Ground Hot red pepper flakes
  • Cayenne
  • Hungarian hot Paprika
  • Dry thyme
  • Dry rosemary
  • Butcher twine (or other fasteners)
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F
  2. Sauté mushrooms and onions in butter and oil till soft.
  3. Add spinach and mix well.
  4. Season to taste.
  5. Cool mixture till can be handled without burning yourself.
  6. Spread butterflied pork loin with mixture to an inch form end.
  7. Roll pork jelly roll style and tie with butcher twine every inch to insure filling stays in.
  8. Season on all sides.
  9. Sear on all sides in heavy oven safe pan (I use my cast iron pan).
  10. Place pan in oven and roast till internal temp is 145°F.
  11. Remove to platter and allow to rest 5 minutes.
  12. Remove twine and slice.
You can make a gravy from the pan fond.

Serving suggestion: Rosemary roasted red potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

img_1183507_0_53d9ad09038ba0c45e0da2a9b3f0f10d.jpg

img_1183507_1_78d9a82de21bb904fe5705e6e46e1195.jpg

I have no idea why the first picture won't show.

Last edited:
In my catering days I had a popular item - pork tenderloin stuffed with strawberries and chorizo.

grind or chop very fine raw chorizo, add finely diced strawberries, fresh chopped tarragon, fresh chopped thyme and fresh ground pepper. Roll and tie up, sear in hot oiled pan on all sides and finish in a 350 F oven

The sweetness and acid from the fruit pairs beautifully with the heat of the sausage and the herbs bring the flavours together nicely. All I served it with was an au jus from the pan drippings.

In my catering days I had a popular item - pork tenderloin stuffed with strawberries and chorizo.

grind or chop very fine raw chorizo, add finely diced strawberries, fresh chopped tarragon, fresh chopped thyme and fresh ground pepper. Roll and tie up, sear in hot oiled pan on all sides and finish in a 350 F oven

The sweetness and acid from the fruit pairs beautifully with the heat of the sausage and the herbs bring the flavours together nicely. All I served it with was an au jus from the pan drippings.

I was going to say apples or pears or apricots and chorizo

I was going to say apples or pears or apricots and chorizo

The strawberries seem to work very well with the sausage. I used the stuffing for a pork loin for a wedding (actually we made 7 full loins) and as a roulade filling for tenderloin for a private dinner. Both went over really well and I have made it for family both ways since!:)

I think the ingredients in a traditional bread based stuffing would be nice minus the bread or with a small amount of bread crumbs.

I guess what I am trying to say is pack in all of the flavor with none of the filler. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think the ingredients in a traditional bread based stuffing would be nice minus the bread or with a small amount of bread crumbs.

I guess what I am trying to say is pack in all of the flavor with none of the filler. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My Mom used to make a stuffed flank steak (roulade style) with a traditional turkey stuffing, with cubed bread. It was delicious and would do well with the pork as well. :)

My Mom used to make a stuffed flank steak (roulade style) with a traditional turkey stuffing, with cubed bread. It was delicious and would do well with the pork as well. :)

I used the Pepperidge Farm package of stuffing mixed with spinach and cooked rice once. Usually I make my own stuffing. But this was one of my lazy days and I wanted to use the half package that was left over from a previous recipe. I moistened the stuffing with chicken stock and melted butter. I always use fresh baby spinach. The frozen, even though good, has too much moisture after it is thawed. I added it to the bread stuffing without cookiing it down first. I figured the moisture from the stuffing would cook it down. And it did. :angel:

Ok, so here's how it went. The ribs were a no-brainer as they had braised in their own juices in the slow cooker, after my dry rub was liberally applied, of course. I simply fired up the grill with a solid bed of charcoal, and placed tag-alder rounds on top to protect the meat and create smoke. They came out as expected, juicy, tender, and smokey. The bark on one side was perfect. Got rave review from the guests.

The pork loin was baked in the oven. Here's what I did to it, and was pleasantly surprised by how good they came out with so little effort on my part. I cut the roast into seven equal slices, each about 2 inches thick. I made a pocket in each slice, and filled with canned apple pie filling. I placed the filled cutlets onto an oiled baking pan, and drizzled with a little cooking oil. Then, I salted the tops, sprinkled on a dash of granulated garlic, and a very light dusting of cloves. I baked them in a 425' oven for 35 minutes. They were tender, succulent, and everyone loved the apple in the pocket. The delicate flavor of the cloves mixed perfectly with the apple, the garlic, and the salt and pepper. I was really pleased with the flavor profile.

To round out the meal, I made a 3 bean salad, sans oil, and nuked 6 ears of corn, still in the husks, in the microwave, 3 at a time, until steaming hot. Made a quick bbq sauce with brown sugar, pork rib pan juices, garlic and onion powder, a splash of Lee & Perins Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup. My guests asked where did I find such a great sauce. This stuff is ridiculously easy, folks. Our guests brought an ice-cold macaroni sandwich that wasn't too creamy, and added a savory component that balanced out the sweet. I'm stuffed, my wife is stuffed, my 4 guests are stuffed, they offered to do the dishes, and I let them, and I sent them home with the leftovers, most of them anyways.

I can't believe I pulled this all off in 90 minutes. I mean, I've been known to take an hour to make a PBJ.

I served up 2 racks of smokey ribs, a full pork tenderloin, stuffed, salad, corn on the cob. I have to say that I feel pretty good about tonight's efforts. I also have to say that I'm glad I don't have to do it again tomorrow night.:wacko:

I think I'm ready for bed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
apple pie filling filled pork sounds good, chief. i'll have to go look for my pork loin with apple and butter gravy recipe for ypu.

but yeah, you did specifically ask for savory. tsk tsk... :ermm:
:)

BT & TL, you are both correct. I did want a savory filling and had figured that I would be making one of those yummy recipes all of you supplied. But time turned out to be shorter than expected, and I jsut grabbed what could eb done the fastest. I was able to prep and bake off that whole tenderloin in 40 minutes.

But fret not, my great and worthy culinary peers. I will be using the recipes that have so generously been offered.

Thanks everyone.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom