ISO Ham use ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone so I could use some help. I have some thick sliced ham that I bought for ham and eggs and I don't know what else to do with it. I made sandwiches already. And my husband is allergic to pineapple so I can't make ham and pineapple. What can I do with my ham?

Chop it up and use it in a casserole, toss it in pea soup, make omelettes with it. You can do lots with ham.

Toss it cubed into baked beans.

Also, in the soup vein, and we love the above ideas, ham goes great in lentil soup.

Ham and green beans with some onions.

Grind it up and make a ham salad.

Ham croquettes?

Here are two recipes for the croquettes we have sorta, kinda used.

We vary our procedure a lot, but it will give you the idea.

Don't know where they came from.

Ham Croquettes

2-1/2 cups finely diced ham
2 sprigs finely diced parsley or 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
1 medium onion finely diced
1 cup cracker meal
2 tablespoons melted butter or canola or corn oil
1 cup milk
1 egg and 1 egg white
Peanut oil for frying

Place first 5 ingredients in a bowl and add beaten egg, 3/4 cup of the milk and oil (or butter).

Add salt and pepper to your liking. If you prefer a spicier mix, you can add some cayenne pepper.

Form the croquettes and roll them in the cracker meal.
Beat the egg white in a bowl with 1/4 cup cold milk, then roll them in the meal again, and then fry in peanut oil heated to 375 degrees until browned.

Or another:

2 cups mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons butter or other fat
3 egg yolks
Cayenne
1 cup cooked ham
Egg and crumbs

Mix potato, butter or other fat, yolks of two eggs and cayenne, beat until smooth, then set to cool. Chop the ham, mix with the other yolk, set on the stove for a moment, then turn out to cool. When thoroughly cool, take a tablespoon of the potato mixture, make a hole in it, put a large teaspoon of the chopped ham inside, close the hole and shape in a ball. Dip in flour, then in egg, roll in crumbs, and fry in deep fat.

They are quite tasty but a bit of work.

Had a chicken and ham pie in a pub several years ago and it was great. Would just make a recipe for chicken pot pie and add the ham chunks or dices.

Have made a meatloaf with ground ham and ground pork, but I suppose ground beef would work just as well.

Or we love frittatas, and ham goes really well in them.

In a similar vein, I'll bet adding ham to a Spanish tortilla would work (it is sorta similar to a frittata).

Sorry to go on so long, but I love to use ham.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom