ISO help cooking fatty pork shoulder from Costco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookNow

Cook
I recently decided to try Costco's 2-pack of pork shoulder (deboned), and found the meat to be fairly good after braising it in my Dutch Oven for a 2-hour recipe.

My only concern was the amount of fat interlaced throughout the shoulder: it was far more than I've seen in this type of cut from other stores like Whole Foods. But the price was really good, so I've given it a try--- 20 bucks for two shoulders that weigh 16lbs total, seemed like a worthwhile cooking venture.

My question is this: can I reduce the fat content by parbroiling the shoulder beforehand? (essentially boiling the meat in water to "melt" out the fat) Or, should I use a recipe that involves braising it longer than the 2 hours that I've just tried?

Hi, Cook. I don't really see a difference between those two methods - either way, you need to cook it longer. You could use the same recipe and just braise it longer, or find another recipe that involves longer braising, but the end result will be the same.

btw, the recipes I use regularly with pork shoulder call for braising for 3-4 hours. Was yours falling-apart tender?

Yikes!!! Do not boil the pork butt!! Remove the fat cap!! Pre-heat your oven to 200*- 225* Cover it well with a good rub -- Set it on a rack (Or the actual oven rack) with a drip pan (aluminum foil?) under neath -- Close the oven door, and for-get-about-it for 8 hours...Check the temperature in the deepest portion...When it reaches 185*-190* take it out...Let it rest for 30-45 minutes...Pull and..

Enjoy!!

I second Uncle Bob's suggestion. I did mine one step easier by putting the well seasoned pork butt in an oven bag and forgot about it for 10 hours. Pulled it out of the oven at 200 deg. and put it in a picnic cooler surrounded with crumpled newspaper for about 45 min. It was fall through the fingers tender! And very moist.

Don't throw the juices away. It will make a great base for a big batch of ham hock and beans.

Cooking it much longer will melt away most of the fat. That which is not melted can be removed after cooking.

The "juice" obviously will be fatty, but a gravy separator can help you strain off the melted fat if you don;t want it.

A pork shoulder really needs to be cooked until it falls apart anyway. 2 hours isn't long enough. It will be tough and fatty.

Back
Top Bottom