ISO idea for Pork Shoulder Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I purchased a nice-sized (8 lbs.) Pork Shoulder Roast, and am going to cut it in half, for two large meals.

Today's meal I have covered - I'm going to do kind of a mexican crock pot roast kind of thing, with potatoes, green onions, carrots, cilantro, lime, corriander, etc, and will serve it with tortillas, chopped tomatoes and (of course) mucho avocado.

But I'm not sure what I want to do with the remaining 4 lbs. Any suggestions?

Bucky...that may be just the thing!

I would have gone with pulled pork, but I just made french dips night before last. (I only like to serve sandwiches once a week)
Thanks so much!

I purchased a nice-sized (8 lbs.) Pork Shoulder Roast, and am going to cut it in half, for two large meals.

Today's meal I have covered - I'm going to do kind of a mexican crock pot roast kind of thing, with potatoes, green onions, carrots, cilantro, lime, corriander, etc, and will serve it with tortillas, chopped tomatoes and (of course) mucho avocado.

But I'm not sure what I want to do with the remaining 4 lbs. Any suggestions?
In a mortar pulverize dried garlic, sage, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, thyme, coarse salt, and black pepper.

Paint shoulder with peanut oil and sprinkle with items pulverized above. Add 1/2 inch water to bottom of roasting pan. Bake / roast on a rack at 300 - 350F for about 3 hours. Cold leftovers make a great sandwich on a hard roll.

Or allowing 1/2 to 3/4 pounds per person, make twice cooked pork:
Boil 1/2 to 3/4 pound pieces for 45 minutes. Cool and slice into 1/4 X 1/2 inch strips. Stir fry in peanut oil and garlic for 30 seconds then add shredded Napa Cabbage (3/4 to 1 pound per person). Finish with corn starch mixture.

Last edited:
:LOL: jkath - I tried about 4 times from work to respond to this - maybe now that I'm home I do it without interruption! Dang customers! :LOL:

Like UB said, pulled pork is not just a sandwich meat. You can serve it pulled on a plate and dare I might suggest a vinegar-based BBQ sauce? :chef:

Place some apple juice in a 13 x 9 pan and put in bottom rack of 225 degree oven. Place pork butt above it (rubbed in oil and salt and pepper) - and place it directly on the oven rack - no pan needed and it's really better NOT in a pan. Bake until internal temp reaches 200 degrees. This might take 8 - 10 hours so plan accordingly. OK, I forgot you cut yours in half so it might not take as long. It will melt like butter in your mouth!!! You can baste in a mop (plenty of those on the net and they usually consist of vinegar, brown sugar, spices, etc.) and VERY tasty!!!!!!

Now, it's not a law per se but this is usually served with coleslaw and baked beans. But since your from SoCal the BBQ Police won't have time to get there if you choose to serve something different with it :ROFLMAO:

OR, another way I do it is slather with oil, salt, and pepper. Wrap in a piece of foil and bake (again, at a low temp, but probably more like 300) until roughly the same internal temp - check after about 3 hours since you have cut yours in half. If I do it this way I want to serve it with acorn squash, cut in half dotted with butter and brown sugar, green beans, corn, greens - you know, just those wintry type foods. But acorn squash is excellent with this!

I haven't come up with a BBQ sauce that includes avocados but I'll work on that ;)

I agree with Uncle Bob. "Think outside the Bun". I can tell you from experience that quesadillas made with pulled pork are heavily. So are enchiladas. I want to try some tamales with pulled pork, but haven't gotten around to it (I'm probably going to do that more like a pot pie, with the pulled pork filling and seasoned veggies in a casserole with a crust made from masa harina).

I also make a GREAT Posole with pulled pork.

KE --- BBQ Police? I've smoked venison shoulder a couple of times with pecan. Should I be expecting a visit from the BBQ PD, or just the members of this forum?

At a reception at work, we had a mashed potato bar once. Toppings included pulled pork, cheese, cole slaw, chopped green onions, steamed broccoli and sour cream. It was unbelievably good.

jkath, did you make the brasciole? if so, how did you make it?

my version of brasciole:
once you have the scallopini, it's pretty easy. the trick is slicing the pork so that you get a little fat through each slice for flavor.

then you pound 'em thin, sprinkle one side with s&p, garted cheese, and italian herbs. sometimes i put some grated mozz inside.

then fold in the edges and roll and tie off the ends to make logs.

brown the brasciole in garlic flavored evoo, then braise in sauce until cooked through.

Pork with Sauerkraut an potatoes... ..

put the pork in a pot with some water and potatoes. Bake covered in the oven at 350. When it's about 1/2 done, pour out the water and put in the sauerkraut and finish cooking..

here is a recipe i used when i had to cook for 900 people. It is amazing how good it tastes.

This dry rub will season a 6-8 pound roast.

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
4Tbl Sp Kosher salt
2Tbl Sp fresh ground black pepper
half to one tsp garlic powder
half to one tsp cayanne pepper

Mix all dry ingrediants in a large zip lock bag and shake like a mad man.
place the pork butt fat side up in a deep dish roasting pan ( i use aluminum deep dish throw away pans) Lay strips of peppered bacon on top of pork. rub the dry seasoning all over the pork including under any flaps. let stand in room temp for 2 hours. After two hours or so, pour half cup to one cup concentrate applejuice over pork. cook 9-10 hours at 235*F or until internal temp has reached 190*-195. once the roast is finished, take two forks and shred the heck out of it. drain off some of the liquid and serve with teriaky or sweet baby rays BBQ sauce.

You could also use the same dry rub but smoke the roast for 10 hours at 235* with some apple wood chips.

jkath, did you make the brasciole? if so, how did you make it?

my version of brasciole:
once you have the scallopini, it's pretty easy. the trick is slicing the pork so that you get a little fat through each slice for flavor.

then you pound 'em thin, sprinkle one side with s&p, garted cheese, and italian herbs. sometimes i put some grated mozz inside.

then fold in the edges and roll and tie off the ends to make logs.

brown the brasciole in garlic flavored evoo, then braise in sauce until cooked through.

whats scallopini. I though it was a pasta dish. Chicken scallopini is what one of our italian joints makes up. its some cream sauce with cappers, diced ham, artichoke hearts and chicken over angle hair pasta

Here's another vote for sauerkraut and potatoes.

It's a favorite in my house.

whats scallopini. I though it was a pasta dish. Chicken scallopini is what one of our italian joints makes up. its some cream sauce with cappers, diced ham, artichoke hearts and chicken over angle hair pasta

Scallopini is meat cutlets (usually chicken, veal or pork) pounded thin, breaded, and browned on both sides, served with a sauce. For example: Veal Scallopini - Allrecipes HTH.

gg is correct. i tend to use the term scallopini to describe the thinly sliced then pounded cutlet, before it's breaded and sauteed. the french term would be escalope.

lt, i pm'd you the recipe.

gg is correct. i tend to use the term scallopini to describe the thinly sliced then pounded cutlet, before it's breaded and sauteed. the french term would be escalope.

lt, i pm'd you the recipe.
Thanx mate. I tried to PM back but says your full. I noticed you siad i needed pork scallopini. So do i have to brown the pork first before i add the other ingrediants or does that recipe pretty much make pork scallopini in the process.

sorry, i cleaned out a coupla messages.

when i said scallopini, i meant that you just need some thin, fairly large slices of a fatty cut of pork. then you pund them out to about 1/8".

if you try to use a lean cut, the brasciole will be too stringy, dry, and tough.

anyway, you season, roll, and tie them into a log shape. then you brown the logs before finishing them by braising in sauce.

Back
Top Bottom