ISO ideas for using Mexican chorizo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You just reminded me that I have 2 Italian sausages in the fridge because I misunderstood the Chef's recipe when it said "sausage." What he meant was sausages for a chacheterie appetizer to go with the pasta dish. Hmmmm...thinking roasted asparagus, sausage, and maybe ... pasta? Not sure yet. Gotta go see what else is in the kitchen... I know I have some tomatoes that need to go or be chicken feed...got black olives, anchovies, and capers...parm. ... Ital. parsley... leeks... garlic...should be able to come up with something...

When someone mentions Mexican chorizo, I always think of fresh. Dried is more commonly a Spanish chorizo.

Agree. Growing up in Miami, these origins got lost in translation on many occasion.
We have a very hard time finding dried chorizo here in SC as our hispanic population is mainly Mexican.

Growing up, I never knew anything about fresh. Only dried/cured.
It was used in many dishes I grew up loving.

Went to a party at a Mexican Restaurant the other day, and they were serving Chorizo Quesadillas. Being a vegetarian, I didn't try it, but if I did eat meat, sounds like something I'd try. Looked like 2 flout tortillas, with a white cheese ( possible Montery Jack) and chopped up chorizo inside. ( with the option to dip in guacamole, sour cream or fresh salsa).

Jamie Oliver did a squid and chorizo dish on a re-run of "15 Minute Meals" on Food Network last week. It sounded rather good.

The recipe may be on-line if you Google. My laptop's playing up so I'm borrowing the library's terminal and it won't let me look at the JO site so I can't forward it..

I threw some chorizo (the salami type) into my roast butternut squash and sweet potato soup this lunch time. I went well together with the veg.

Went to a party at a Mexican Restaurant the other day, and they were serving Chorizo Quesadillas. Being a vegetarian, I didn't try it, but if I did eat meat, sounds like something I'd try. Looked like 2 flout tortillas, with a white cheese ( possible Montery Jack) and chopped up chorizo inside. ( with the option to dip in guacamole, sour cream or fresh salsa).
Marinate some tofu in your favorite salsa, grill some asparagus in a grill pan on the stove, take a soft flour tortilla, add your favorite Mexican (or soft goat cheese), some black beans, a bit of chopped jalapeno, some cilantro, the asparagus, some chives, whatever. Cook the marinated tofu your favorite way, add it to the flour tortilla (I make my own, so they are usually warm), fold in half, put 2 T of canola oil in a skillet, cook for about 2 minutes each side (until the cheese melts and the tortilla is has some golden spots on it). Serve with your favorite Mexican sides. Or, leave the tofu out and mix some salsa with the soft cheese.

Last edited:
I suppose most cooks here know that to get the best out of chorizo simmering slowly, for a while, renders it more succulent and yielding rather than tough and rubbery. I find it goes well in a pasta style sauce in this way, e.g. with carrots, celery, onions and tomatoes.

Go figure, have to memorize everything you read, never know when it will be useful. I was seating in an office just yesterday and reading some recipes. One of them was chorizo and chicken stew. For a life of me, cannot remember what else. There were too many recipes to read. Sounded good.

Go figure, have to memorize everything you read, never know when it will be useful. I was seating in an office just yesterday and reading some recipes. One of them was chorizo and chicken stew. For a life of me, cannot remember what else. There were too many recipes to read. Sounded good.

I've done that before, then asked if I could take the magazine home with me. Never been refused, and a couple of times I took it home, copied the ones I wanted, then returned it the next time I was in the area.

I've done that before, then asked if I could take the magazine home with me. Never been refused, and a couple of times I took it home, copied the ones I wanted, then returned it the next time I was in the area.

Years ago, I found a recipe in a magazine in the doctor's waiting room and asked the receptionist to photocopy it for me.

I usually do ask to photocopy, but nowadays with cell phone cameras being so good it is even easier to just take a photo. Just did not think I would use a recipe with chorizo, being that it is not kosher. Too bad it sounded good. Do not remember spices they used, but they sautéed chorizo first, then took it out with a slotted spoon, then dragged chicken pieces in flour and fried in rendered fat, then added low sodium chicken broth, cooked for a while then added veggies. I suppose it could be any veggies.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Hi, I haven't used it much, but I have tried it in a stuffing for a chicken with onion, garlic, thyme and sun dried tomatoes. It was a nice tasty change.

Remember this is a Mexican Chorizo which is fresh, not cured or cooked. Resembles minced beef in texture. Spanish chorizo is much different.

Charlie, you could use beef and all the chorizo seasonings to get a close substitute.

Or turkey, even chicken but I think turkey would be a better choice, as long as Charlie doesn't belong to one of the small groups that apparently don't consider turkey kosher.

Back
Top Bottom