ISO Leftover Ham Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I charged DH with picking up the spiral ham for Christmas dinner and he got a 15 lb ham for 4 1/2 of us!!!:huh: Needless to say, we'll be having some leftovers. I'll be making my standard split pea soup, and will probably freeze some, but I could really use some good leftover ideas for dinners later next week, too.

Thanks!

Sandwiches...My favorite! Then red beans & rice are a gimmie for for the bone and scraps. Breakfast ham. Egg McMuffins. It also freezes well for later use.

Enjoy!

Ham sandwiches, Make pizza, top with ham and pineapple, ham and cheese nibbles, use in seasoning green beans, Chicken cordon bleu!!, wrap asparagus with ham, fried ham, ham and onion cheese ball instead of beef??, chefs salad.....

Dice some ham, bell peppers, onions (all pretty much equal parts, doesn't really matter)
Some peas
Elbow mac
Make a beschamel sauce with asiago and mozzarella cheese.

Mix it all up, season and throw it into a 375 deg. oven until you can't take the awesome aroma anymore (10-15min) then plate.

oh, you can throw some breadcrumbs on it too.

We buy those spiral hams regularly. They are easy to divide up and freeze. We use them for quite a few things. I stick it under the broiler for a few minutes because I like it a little crispy around the edges.
I dice it up for breakfast burritos or omelets, or we will have a slice with some eggs. I make scalloped potatoes with gruyere or cheddar and throw the diced ham in between each layer. Sandwiches. I make a dish with sliced polenta, ham, asparagus and melted cheese over the top.
That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Fry the ham for breakfast or for sandwiches.

The bone is great for pea soup but also for lentil soup (can never figure out which one to make, pea or lentil).

Put in a frittata. Eggs Benedict. Chicken cordon bleu.

Have some friends over and make bisuits with the sliced ham on top.

just a few ideas, Merry Christmas.

Gotta be breakfast skillets.Ham, green pepper, onion, bacon, mushroom, melty cheese and egg, with hash browns on the side, and maybe some biscuits or toast with butter and jam... so delicious and satisfying.

breakfast has to be the best meal ever, hands down.

(A couple of these have already been said.)

Quiche Lorraine
Ham omelettes
Breakfast muffins (ham and egg)
Pea and ham soup
Potato Leek and ham soup
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Arrancini balls
Ham and potato cakes
Fried rice
Pizzas (mini, individual, family or on pita bread)
Ham and potato croquettes
Ham and Mediterranean vegetable toasted focaccia
Sandwiches (toasted and fresh)
Frittata
Ham, cheese and pinepple bread rolls (as in the bread is made with these ingredients in them, as opposed to sticking them in a made roll)
Ham and cheese toasted croissants

soups ( lentil, bean , pea) , mac n cheese or au gratin potatoes with ham, salads, sandwiches either hot or cold grilled or broiled. and all the above. yum

I'm still eating ham I brought home from my father's house Thanksgiving, but don't have much left. I layered the slices inbetween plastic wrap and froze them in Food Saver bags. They break off like frozen hamburger patties. I could eat hot ham and cheese sandwiches on a good roll every day of the week, but I'm rationing my supply. Some got diced and scrambled with onions and eggs for a breakfast sandwhich. Next time I will have to hunt down this thread for all the ideas.

Bilby just about covered it. Wanted to say quiche w ham, asparagus, mushrooms & Swiss or Gruyere.

How about a Pasta dish?

Spinach fettucine, Parmesan cheese, white sauce, asparagus (mushrooms) & ham - oh, my!

Pasta

Reuben-like quesadillas - flour tortillas, sliced apples, mustard, ham, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut.

Mozzarella in Carrozza - (Mozzarella in a Carriage -- with ham)

Like a grilled cheese sammich (w ham), dunk the sammiches in eggs & fry in olive oil. Here's one w a lemon/wine sauce.

Mozzarella in Carroza

Ham, asparagus, mushrooms, peas & parmesan pot pie.

Tiny Ham & Pineapple Pot Pies

Last edited:
Don't forget Cajun cooking! Uncle Bob, how could you? Jambalaya, or any cajun/creole dish that calls for "tasso", which is a seasoned ham.

I was flicking thru a cooking mag a little while ago, and surprise, surprise, they had a little column on what to do with leftover.... ham!! Well the one that hasn't been mentioned (that I recall seeing anyway) is ham and asparagus crepes. Think they used hollandaise, but you could use your sauce of choice. A mornay one may be nice.

I charged DH with picking up the spiral ham for Christmas dinner and he got a 15 lb ham for 4 1/2 of us!!!:huh: Needless to say, we'll be having some leftovers. I'll be making my standard split pea soup, and will probably freeze some, but I could really use some good leftover ideas for dinners later next week, too.

Thanks!

Happy Holidays. You are probably getting ready for your big ham dinner. Let us know how it turns out & if any of the ham leftover suggestions strike your fancy.

Ham leak and mushroom pie.
or real Comfort food, mix cubed ham in mashed potato with grated onion and cheese, put it in a glass dish, grate more cheese on top arange some sliced tomatoes on that and then a dash of worcester sauce and bake it until hot and the cheese is golden.

then grab a spoon and pig out in front of the TV :D

Back
Top Bottom