Jazzing up chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MotherOfDragons

Assistant Cook
Hello, i am cooking pork chops tonight (they are about 1inch no bone) and getting a bit bored of chops, mash, veg, gravy!

So i was wondering what do you do to jazz yours up, marinades? Sauces? Sides? Any pork chop recipes would be amazing and also side recipes? I would like to try something a bit more adventurous.

Thank you

One simple thing is to make a sauce with Dijon mustard and dried thyme. Brush on the chops and broil/grill till done. Serve with buttered noodles with fresh mixed herbs.

Or cut into cubes along with two cups of veggies (I use onions, bell peppers and celery), stir-fry and make a sweet & sour sauce. Serve over rice.

Cut into cubes and marinate in a mixture of dried oregano, fresh minced garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Grill/broil till done. Serve with pan-fried potatoes sprinkled with lemon juice and oregano and a Greek salad.

Hope this helps.

For a change try browning the chops, place them on a foil lined baking dish, slather them with your favorite tomato based barbecue sauce and top them with a few slices of onion and or green bell pepper, bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes at 400-425.

If you don't have bottled barbecue sauce you can mix up a quick version similar to this, just use what you have on hand.

1 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar or molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Season to taste with a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper.

Good luck and welcome to DC!

One simple thing is to make a sauce with Dijon mustard and dried thyme. Brush on the chops and broil/grill till done. Serve with buttered noodles with fresh mixed herbs.

Or cut into cubes along with two cups of veggies (I use onions, bell peppers and celery), stir-fry and make a sweet & sour sauce. Serve over rice.

Cut into cubes and marinate in a mixture of dried oregano, fresh minced garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Grill/broil till done. Serve with pan-fried potatoes sprinkled with lemon juice and oregano and a Greek salad.

Hope this helps.

mmm! The mustard sounds yummy:) thank you

For a change try browning the chops, place them on a foil lined baking dish, slather them with your favorite tomato based barbecue sauce and top them with a few slices of onion and or green bell pepper, bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes at 400-425.

If you don't have bottled barbecue sauce you can mix up a quick version similar to this, just use what you have on hand.

1 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar or molasses
Season to taste with a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper.

Good luck and welcome to DC!

Sounds great, thanks for the recipe

I like stuffing these. An apple and herb bread cube stuffing. Use an oven safe saute pan, brown each side and finish in the oven. Pan juices can be deglazed with apple cider for a pan sauce.

I often serve them with sauteed apples & onions.

Or with a pineapple salsa.

Or with a mango salsa.

I just love fruit with pork...

I like them browned and simmered with sauerkraut, onion, and apple chunks.

Last edited:
WAIT, before you do anything, brine those babies. All you need to do is soak them for a couple of hours in 4 cups of water in 1/4 cup of kosher (not table) salt. I'll never eat another chop that hasn't been brined.

Here's a great recipe I used several nights ago, and it's delicious!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/pork-in-onion-sauce-tnt-82807.html

By the way, welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Last edited:
Kayelle :D thanks for the reminder :)

And thanks for all the ideas...i might have to live of chops for a while to try them all.

O good. I 've been meaning to try brining chops. Now I know what proportions work good, since KL ( and others) have been extolling the virtues of brining for some time now.

Some variations I like, all similar.

Use about 1/2 cup apricot preserves, or orange marmalade or canned cranberry sauce. Add 1-2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger and a healthy pinch of thyme or savory, or rosemary. Melt it all together in a small saucepan. After browning one side of the chops, spoon a little sauce on the browned side and smooth it around. For a saucier/ pourable sauce, add a splash of chicken broth and just bring to a boil for a minute or so.

Skip or don't skip the ginger and add a spoonful of Dijon mustard or a spoonful of horseradish.

O good. I 've been meaning to try brining chops. Now I know what proportions work good, since KL ( and others) have been extolling the virtues of brining for some time now.

Glad I could help Whiska. I buy several chops at a time, and brine them all at once before freezing them in packages of two. Many people like to add brown sugar and herbs to the brine, but I prefer just the salt/water combo and then flavor the meat for each meal. Salt and water is all that's needed to do the job. Again, it's 4 cups of water to 1/4 cup Kosher (not table) salt, for 2 to 4 hours.

Last edited:
WAIT, before you do anything, brine those babies. All you need to do is soak them for a couple of hours in 4 cups of water in 1/4 cup of kosher (not table) salt. I'll never eat another chop that hasn't been brined.

Here's a great recipe I used several nights ago, and it's delicious!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/pork-in-onion-sauce-tnt-82807.html

By the way, welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Many pork producers brine their pork before sale, so check for that before brining at home or you may have an inedibly salty result. If your pork is pre-brined, it will say so on the package.

Last edited:
This is a recipe for grilling chicken, but I tried this sauce over a pork roast and just made it in the oven It was delicious, so it should work fine for pork chops.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Recipe: http://www.centercutcook.com/balsamic-bbq-glazed-chicken/

Last edited:

Latest posts