Left over ham ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
We have alot of ham left over from the hollidays and I am stumped.There is only one thing I like ham in and thats beans.I have that coverd with plenty left.Scalloped potatoes are allright but not a favorite.Looking for something differant.Something along the lines of an eddible hot pocket or anything creative.My cook books are worthless.:pig:

grind it up and make ham for sandwiches freeze some. i am going the scalloped potato way. will add cheese. paprikas. maybe fine chopped onion. perhaps you don't want to do scalloped because it is often bland. so dress it up.

I sometimes make deviled ham salad. Using it for sandwiches will make it disappear in a hurry.

You could also make pea soup with ham, and load up with the ham.

Omelets can be good, but they don't usually use as much as you would probably like them to.

Sausage and diced ham gravy...

And this may sound strange, but I will dice ham, fry it until it's almost crunchy, and then sprinkle a little thinned sweet and sour sauce or just soy sauce over it and serve. I make that as a snack several times a year - but I can be weird! :LOL:

how about something like this?

- get some frozen puff pastry (the stuff for turn-overs).
- squeeze the water out of some cooked spinach & chop
- layer some sliced ham, spinach & cheese, & wrap it in the puff pastry,maybe with some dijon mustard, give it an egg wash and bake.

- make 1 big log or individual ones like turnovers

- you could also use regular pie crust or bread dough

easy & festive ;)

add to:
western omelet
pea soup
greens
mac and cheese

tossed salad topper
ham salad

fried slices served with over easy eggs

calzones --store brought pizza dough - ham - cheese of choice ( i like mozzeralla & provolone mixture) and hubbie like a slice of bacon added.
roll out a section of the dough farily thin and put items in center - fold dough over and pinch seam place seam side down on baking sheet and bake till dough is done. don't forget to put a lil slit in the top to let the steam out or you have melted cheese all over.

so no exact recipe -- it just one that i do off the head.

You can chop it up and use in the place of hamburger in casseroles, add it to your spaghetti sauce, put it on a pizza, chop it fine and use it in BBQ sauce or sloppy joe sauce for sandwiches.

My mama used to make a recipe she got from an old friend called. It was Pennsylvania Dutch dish called Ham Pot Pie. It had ham, potatoes, celery, carrots and a dough cooked together like a stew. It was very good.

and let`s not forget 2 old stand-by's for leftovers: quiche and crepes.

milk (or cream, half&half, sour cream or plain, unsweetened yogurt to approximate sour cream without the fat) & eggs for the quiche.

bechamel or veloute for crepes to bind the ingredients.

pretty much anything goes well in a quiche or crepe.

;)

Back
Top Bottom