Maryland Stuffed Ham...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
In all the discussions about ham and kale, why has Maryland stuffed ham not come up? I was scanning recipes from old (1980s) magazines today, and there was what sounds like a lovely recipe for Maryland Stuffed Ham, stuffed with kale. Given that we grow kale and that we often buy ham on special...I can't wait to try this. Does anyone from MD have a TNT recipe for this?

There was some discussion on this a couple years ago around the holidays.

I have never had it, though I am not a fan of kale.

i don't.

but you made me feel old... :(
(80's?)
Wait until I get to the ones from the '50s! These are magazines my mom kept, that I couldn't bear to throw out because, oh gosh, there are recipes in these....boxes of which I transported from MN to Ontario. There's also a really good sounding recipe for pickled okra that I hope to try....and a bunch of stew recipes...

What kind of Ham are we talking, here?

A Cured, pink Ham?

or a Large Raw Pig's leg. Sold around here as a Pork Picnic Cut..

if the latter..

I think this is called Porchetta in Italy.

Eric, Austin Tx.

There was some discussion on this a couple years ago around the holidays.

I have never had it, though I am not a fan of kale.

Yes, I have introduced Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham during the holidays when Corned Ham (think corned beef) are available. I even change my avatar to the picture in the 4th link posted above. I thought I might have included the recipe, I guess not. Different areas of the county have a different variation of the recipe, but really they are basically the same. Ex. No Kale, all Cabbage. All Kale, no Cabbage. Mostly Cabbage or mostly Kale. I prefer half and half.:yum::yum::yum:View attachment 13882

Last edited:
What kind of Ham are we talking, here?

A Cured, pink Ham?

or a Large Raw Pig's leg. Sold around here as a Pork Picnic Cut..

if the latter..

I think this is called Porchetta in Italy.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Corned Ham- think Corned Beef, but ham.

CWS,

I have had Virginia Roast Ham Glazed which was wonderful, however, I checked my Mom´s Classic American recipe books, and no listing for a Maryland Roast and Stuffed Ham ...

Good Luck Researching,

Have nice Monday.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom