Mustard Crusted Pork Tenderloin problems - it's not crusty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slingblade1108

Assistant Cook
I used this recipe to do a mustard crusted pork tenderloin and I cant figure out why it ends up being so soggy. Below is the recipe I use from the food network. I follow the recipe carefully, but it is never crusty and always soggy. One thing I did notice is that it takes quite a bit longer than the recipe says in the oven to finish off. My girlfriend thinks the temp in the oven could be off and that I should try bumping up the temp. Anyone got any suggestions?

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons black mustard seeds
  • 4 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 2 pork tenderloins
  • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 recipe Mostarda de Frutti Mista, for serving, recipe follows
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, toast the mustard seeds until fragrant. Using a mortar and pestle lightly crush the mustard seeds. In a small bowl combine the mustard seeds and the panko.
3. Using 2 tablespoons of the olive oil rub the pork and season on all sides with gray salt and pepper, to taste, and roll in the panko mustard seed mixture to coat the tenderloins all over.
4. In a large saute pan heat the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking, add tenderloins to pan and sear on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Move pan with pork to the oven and cook until a meat thermometer reads 155 degrees F, about 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove pork from the pan and let rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes.

is the oil sizzling when you put the tendorloin in the pan to sear? it sounds like the crust you are looking for is forming because your not searing properly, develop that crust on the stovetop before it goes to the oven. Then when you have the crust fire it in the oven to finish the interal.

Well, I always set the heat on Med-High, and put it in just before the oil starts to smoke. Perhaps that is the problem. I am not searing it correctly or letting the oil get hot enough. Thanks for the tip. I'll try letting the oil heat to the point of sizzling. Also, could it be getting soggy because it sits in the oil when it goes in the oven? Should I drain the oil before putting the pan in the oven to finish it off?

Are you using a rack in the pan to keep the pork out of its own juices?

Make sure the oil is hot when searing, check your oven temp with a thermometer.. It sounds like it might be a bit cool.

I used this recipe to do a mustard crusted pork tenderloin and I cant figure out why it ends up being so soggy. Below is the recipe I use from the food network. I follow the recipe carefully, but it is never crusty and always soggy. One thing I did notice is that it takes quite a bit longer than the recipe says in the oven to finish off. My girlfriend thinks the temp in the oven could be off and that I should try bumping up the temp. Anyone got any suggestions?
I use a similar recipe for pork loin out of Fine Cooking mag. Big differences are I brine for 8 hrs minimum and use about 1/2 of the oil - no sear/saute. Also, using mustard (Maelle) with seeds already in it.

Cooks fat side up for 15 or 20 minutes at 450 F - this takes care of the sear. Then kick oven back down to 350 F & cook for 50 minutes or so (these are 3.5-4lb pork loins. Last one is really good (cooked last Sunday) & will eat last leftovers tonight. Second leftovers (Wednesday were just as tender/juicy as first serving).

More details if you want.

I use a similar recipe for pork loin out of Fine Cooking mag. Big differences are I brine for 8 hrs minimum and use about 1/2 of the oil - no sear/saute. Also, using mustard (Maelle) with seeds already in it.

Cooks fat side up for 15 or 20 minutes at 450 F - this takes care of the sear. Then kick oven back down to 350 F & cook for 50 minutes or so (these are 3.5-4lb pork loins. Last one is really good (cooked last Sunday) & will eat last leftovers tonight. Second leftovers (Wednesday were just as tender/juicy as first serving).

More details if you want.

Pork loin and pork tenderloin are different cuts of meat. Tenderloin is much smaller, usually 1-1.5 lbs., so it should cook much faster than a pork loin roast.

How long since you checked to make sure your oven is heating up to temperature? Just because the gauge is set for a certain temp does not mean the oven is heating up to that temperature.

First thing I would do is get an oven thermometer to check its temp.

Next, if that's correct, I would make sure to get a good sear on your pork before putting it in the oven. (That might take more than 5 minutes.)

Third, I would only roast the meat to a temperature of 140 F. And let the meat rest outside the oven for at least 10 minutes to reabsorb the juices, and complete cooking. If you cook the pork to 155, the resulting meat will be DRY, because the meat continues cooking well after you pull it from the oven.

Are you cooking anything else in the oven along with the pork. Vegetables and potatoes sometimes put off steam and prevent the crust from crisping.
C

If the meat doesn't immediately start sizzling when you put it in the pan, the oil is not hot enough. That will cause the meat to be soggy rather than have a crispy crust.

When you see the first wisps of smoke, add the meat.

If the oil doesn't sizzle for you, something my wife does is run her hands under tap water and then flick her fingers at the pan which sprinkles a little water into it ... it should sizzle like you want the meat to sizzle.

If the oil doesn't sizzle for you, something my wife does is run her hands under tap water and then flick her fingers at the pan which sprinkles a little water into it ... it should sizzle like you want the meat to sizzle.

I don't recommend that method. When the water mixes with the fat, it causes the fat to pop pretty high. That can make for some nasty burns.

I use a couple of crumbs pulled off a piece of bread. If the oil starts to bubble around the bread cube right away, you're good to go.

I don't recommend that method. When the water mixes with the fat, it causes the fat to pop pretty high. That can make for some nasty burns.

I use a couple of crumbs pulled off a piece of bread. If the oil starts to bubble around the bread cube right away, you're good to go.

I don't think she's ever used enough water to create a volcano effect, maybe I didn't explain well enough ... it's more of a water "spritz", not a "splash" :)

I like the idea of crumbs though.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I will get an oven thermometer and test the temp. I live in a rented apartment, so who knows. One more question. When I put extra virgin olive oil in my pan, it always spreads out and sort pools up in certain parts of the pan rather than a nice even coat? I used my friends pan this past weekend and the olive had a nice coat all over. Is this just my cheap pan or what?

Back
Top Bottom