Never cooked ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leila

Cook
I have a ham in my freezer. I'm thinking of making ham this weekend. But I've never made it. Any tips?

There should be a label on it with recommended cooking time (pre-cooked hams just require a short heating time while uncooked hams require complete cooking). It's usually about 15+ minutes a pound for a typical sized bone-in uncooked ham. For the first meal, I like to have a large slice with roll and veggie. There's usually enough for a couple leftover meals - one with noodles and one with rice.

Southern Baked Ham

12 lb To 14 ham
Water to cover
1 c Brown sugar
Cream or water
Cloves

Soak ham overnight in water. In the morning, put
it on to boil in the same water. Boil til tender.
Remove from kettle, skin the ham. Make a paste of
the brown sugar and cream or water, spread over
ham, stick full of cloves. Bake about an hour

Baked Ham with a Secret Glaze

We prefer using a bone-in ham, but this punchlike blend of wine, honey and pineapple juice is also just the thing to gussy up a canned ham.
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (6 pound) bone in smoked precooked ham
In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, honey, red wine, pineapple juice, and garlic. Place the ham in the marinade, turn to coat it, and let it stand at room temperature for at least 1 or up to 4 hours, or cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn the ham in the marinade as many times as you remember to do so.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the ham on a rack in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan, reserving the marinade. Bake the ham, basting often with the reserved marinade, until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the ham (not touching the bone) reads 120 degrees, about 1 hour.

Note: For larger hams, allow 10 minutes per pound to heat the ham through, but baste only during the last hour of cooking or the glaze may scorch.
Serves 8 to 10.

Baked Ham with Pineapple

1 picnic shoulder, fully cooked -- (6 to 7 lbs)
1 can pineapple slices -- (15oz)
1/4 cup light brown sugar -- packed
1/4 cup honey
Maraschino cherries
whole cloves
Remove skin from ham; place on a rack in a baking pan fat side up. Cover loosely with aluminum foil; bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes a pound (or 140 degrees on meat thermometer).
Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup of juice. Combine the reserved juice, brown sugar, and honey in a saucepan; cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.

Remove foil from ham; score fat in a diamond pattern. Brush ham with pineapple-honey mixture. Arrange pineapple slices and cherries in a pattern over the top of the ham, securing with toothpics. Stud with cloves, if desired, and brush again with pineapple-honey mixture. Bake an additional 30 minutes at 325 degrees; basting with pineapple-honey mixture.
Serves about 12.

Baked Ham with Sweet Bourbon-Mustard Glaze

1 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 ham half about 6 to 8 pounds -- fully cooked
Combine the honey and molasses; heat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top. Stir in bourbon, orange juice, and mustard.
Remove all but about 1/4-inch of fat from the ham, then place in a roasting pan. Bake at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a meat thermometer reaches 140 degrees (About 10 minutes per pound). Baste the ham occasionally with the honey-bourbon mixture.

Transfer drippings to a saucepan and add remaining honey mixture; bring to a boil. Slice ham and serve with the glaze.

Ham Bone Dumplings

1 large ham bone or leftover ham
2 quarts water
salt and pepper
Dumplings
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup cold water
Simmer ham bone in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine dumpling ingredients to make dough. Add more flour if needed to make dough easy to handle. Place dough on floured board and roll very thin. Cut dough into small pieces and drop into pot with ham. Cook about 20 - 25 minutes more.

Aloha From Blue Ridge Telecom

Cooked the ham yesterday. I used Rainee's recipe minus the orange juice and burbon. It came out all right first time around. We had some friends and family over to watch the Brown v. Cowboys game. Everyone walked out of the house alive. LOL ;) They all enjoyed the ham. Thanks all.

I've made the following recipe that Sara Moulton had on her show on the Food Network. It's delicious. I also made it with 1/2 C dry mustard instead of the dijon for the glaze and that was delicious too.

Baked Ham with Maple Mustard Sauce Recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
User Rating: No Rating

1 (8-pound) fully cooked bone-in ham
Whole cloves
1 cup whole-grain Dijon mustard
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Maple mustard sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Score top of ham into diamonds and stud center of each diamond with a clove. On a rack in a roasting pan bake ham in middle of oven 1 1/2 hours.

In a bowl combine, mustard, brown sugar and maple syrup. Remove pan from oven. Spread mustard mixture over top and sides of ham. Return to oven and continue to bake until mustard coating is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Transfer ham to a platter. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with maple mustard sauce on the side.

MAPLE MUSTARD SAUCE:
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Stir together mustard and syrup until combined well.
Note: Sauce can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Yield: 3/4 cup

Episode#: CL9683
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom