Not Just a One Trick Pony - Bratwurst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Bratwurst; ahh, that flavorful sausage usually poached in beer, the grilled to a perfect brown over hot charcoal, and then paced into a hot dog bun and smothered with your favorite condiments and vegies; When bratwurst is the topic.he almost instantaneous vision that we conjure in our head. But this famous, and favored sausage is capable of so much more.

I made seven pounds of homemade bratwurst two days ago. Last night I sliced a sausage into rounds, gently fried it until lightly browned, and added it to a garlic marinara and seved it over wide egg nooses with shredded Parmesan cheese. It was yummy. Here's today's recipe, Bratwurst/mushroom stove-top stew. And just for the record, it is really great tasting.

Ingredients:
3 tbs. salted butter
3 tbs. AP flour
8 inch bratwurst link
1/4 cup small dice onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 packet dried porcine mushroom
1/2 cup uncooked orzo
2 cups water
12 cup half & half
3/4 lb. sliced propellant mushroom, or white button mushroom, or both

Slice the bratwurst into thin rounds. Melt butter in a 2 quart saucepan. Add the sausage rounds and onion. Cook over medium heat until the sausage is lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and saute for 1 minutes. Place the flour into the saucepan and stir to coat everything. Continue cooking for another minutes. Stir in the half * half to make a thick sauce over everything in the pot. Add the remaining ingredients and two cups of water.

Bring the mixture to a light boil, stirring frequently, then cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir every seven minutes or so to prevent the orzo from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

The final result is a creamy stew with great mushroom flavor, seasoned by the bratwurst and butter. The orzo adds a rich and silky texture to the stew.

Now if you have to have beer with your brats, you cold replace some of the water with the beer. I think it would be a great flavor addition, Me, I just don't like the flavor of beer, so I just used water.

I;m sure that brats could be used in any number fo recipes, from pilafs, to casseroles, to kabobs, in salads, etc. I hope you try this recipe as it really came out with great flavor, and texture. It's hearty and fills the belly.

If you have your own favorite recipes that use brats, kielbasa, or knockwurst, throw them into this thread.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Sounds really good, Chief, but I have a couple of questions.

Did you mean to say 12 cups of half and half?

What did you mean by "propellant" mushrooms?

Darn auto-correct! [emoji16]

Sounds really good, Chief, but I have a couple of questions.

Did you mean to say 12 cups of half and half?

What did you mean by "propellant" mushrooms?

Darn auto-correct! [emoji16]

:LOL: Somehow, the / in 1/2 didn't show up when I pressed the key. I must have not pressed it hard enough. thanks for asking. I would have hated having someone make the recipe with 12 cups of half & half. They would have nothing good to say about my recipes after that:ohmy:. Oh, and the one mushroom should have read portabella rather than propellant mushrooms. I'm not giving a recipe for rocket fuel here, even though wild beefsteak mushrooms contain one of the chemicals found in rocket fuel (hence the reason I don't eat any of the false morels, even beefsteak mushrooms).
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom