Over All Pork Knowledge: Share Yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While this is not a picture of the one we cooked, this what our sausage stuffed pork loin looks like.

sausage-stuffed_pork_loin_roast_with_apricot-mustard_glaze.jpg

eric said:
Stuffing a tenderloin, if you haven't done it before, can be pretty hard to explain in words. But basically, cut on both ends, and shove a sharpening steel through it. Wiggle it around to make it bigger. Put your stuffing (make sure it is cooked and cooled) in a piping bag. Shove it in one end. Squeeze the heck out of it. Then do what my mom taught me is called a over/under stich? I think that is what it called in sewing. Stich it with cooking twine.

see this is what im talking about..this is like heiroglyphics to me..ive never heard of cooking twine, or a piping bag, or a sharpening steel..as for your comments, yes friend that is why im asking here, to learn from chefs general cooking techniques and flavor association type stuff, broad questions so i can learn and experiment as i go... this is why im asking, because i like to experiment with my own recipes rather than just use other ones, and you can't do this without some basic knowledge...

ive come a **** of a long way though.. and this site has helped... i lurked awhile before i registered,

as for that procedure, is that for the huge pork loin? Or for the smaller little tenderloins... I cant imagine bringing out all of that heavy machinery for a little 5 oz filet(estimated how much it weighs buy how it looks in butchers window

Not sure, no recipe was listed with that picture.

This might help, and even shows using a string.

Stuffed loin

Mylegsbig said:
see this is what im talking about..this is like heiroglyphics to me..ive never heard of cooking
You are asking awesome questions!
as for that procedure, is that for the huge pork loin? Or for the smaller little tenderloins... I cant imagine bringing out all
The procedure I gave are for the Pork Loins. The ones others posted with pictures. Nice photos!
of that heavy machinery for a little 5 oz filet(estimated how much it weighs buy how it looks in butchers window
5oz filets would be the Pork Tenderloins which is different from the loin. It would be pretty hard to stuff that. 5oz are a good size for 1 person. I did 3 weeks ago. Stuffed with dried apricots.
You will need to cook Pork Tenderloins like any other tenderloin. Short and fast or it starts to seize up tight and you will be chewing and chewing.

eric said:
You are asking awesome questions!

The procedure I gave are for the Pork Loins. The ones others posted with pictures. Nice photos!

5oz filets would be the Pork Tenderloins which is different from the loin. It would be pretty hard to stuff that. 5oz are a good size for 1 person. I did 3 weeks ago. Stuffed with dried apricots.
You will need to cook Pork Tenderloins like any other tenderloin. Short and fast or it starts to seize up tight and you will be chewing and chewing.

Thanks for your replies man. I'm goign to first try the half pork loin. So i can cut a good hole and stuff it full with my hands. Then i'm going to wrap it with bacon. Not sure when im gonna stuff it with, but ill find out. Im thinking some molasses for sure, or can i use honey? Can i glaze it with honey? Then crust it with black pepper and stuff it with garlic and some other good spices

i like ground sage, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, with cooked apples on the side. heavy on the sage. this is for chops.

Rosemary and Balsamic vinegar and EVOO! Wonderful marinade - will post soon -

Also made a Pork loin stuffed with cheese/spinach polenta and a black cherry sauce - supreme! The recipe and complete step by step instructions from Cuisine magazine. I usually make two and freeze one.

This is one of my favorite things for pork tenderloin, I also use it for pork chops.

Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin

2(1 1/2 pound) pork tenerloins
1/2C. honey
2tsp. prepared mustard(I use about 4tsp.)
1/4C. brown sugar

Mix honey, mustard & brown sugar. Spread over pork & let marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours. Roast in 350F oven for 1 hour. 12 servings.

From The Four Ingredient Cookbook by Linda Coffee & Emily Cale

I also pour the marinade into a small sauce pan & bring it to a boil & reduce it by half to make a glaze to serve over the tenderloin when serving it.

Pork (and chicken but that's another topic) is something I've learned to ALWAYS brine before cooking. Exceptions are the pork butt (shoulder) and ribs I use for "Q" ... not necessary 'cause of the long slow smoke cooking. (Although I've never tried BBQ'ing brined pork... so I'd be open to comments from anyone with that experience).

The pork I get here in my part of greater Seattle is quite flavorless and TOO lean... so soaking in a brine* (see below) solution for no less than 2 hours and typically no more than 8 hours (except for a whole pork loin that I brine for a day or more) adds/enhances the flavor and adds moisture.

The typical brine solution suggested by Cook's Illustrated is:
1 quart cool water
1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
1/2 cup sugar
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP Morton Kosher Salt or 1/4 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Make 1 quart of brine for each pound of meat, not to exceed 8 quarts (2 gallons). Soak meat for 1 hour per pound, but not less than 30 minutes or longer than 8 hours. If brining multiple pieces, base the brining time on the weight of an individual piece.

I don't actually do this :) ... I cheat on the amount of water (i.e. brine more than 1 lb of meat per quart) and cut down a bit on the salt... but that's to my taste.

Brining requires "osmosis" so you must have the salt and water.. I'm not sure "osmosis" needs sugar but at a minimum you need water and salt. A marinade won't penetrate as much without the "osmosis" action although you do get flavor from marinades.. and of course if your marinade includes enough salt, you probably get osmosis too?

Anyway, you can add other ingredients to the brine which include sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, fruit juices, beer, liquor, bay leaves, pickling spices, cloves, garlic, onion, chilies, citrus fruits, peppercorns, and other herbs and spices. Most recipes call for bringing the ingredients to a boil to dissolve the sugars and bring out the flavor of herbs, then cooling the mixture to below 40°F before use.

You might consider give brining a try next time you do some pork, by they chops or top loin or tenderloin, etc. I'll never go back to NOT brining unless I can get some good pork again.

:) Good thing Rainee left for her BBQ comp and stopped posting those pictures! I was getting hungry!!!!

Hmmm... Was planning to try to fish Sunday morning, but the boat may not be ready. If I don't go fishing, I have a feeling that the smoker is going to get fired up and we're having BBQ!

John

Good thing Rainee left for her BBQ comp and stopped posting those pictures! I was getting hungry!!!!

Well, if it helps any John (while Rainee is gone), here's some ribs I did over a year ago on my old ECB smoker. As I mentioned somewhere else, I'm now using the WSM smokers.

rb1.jpg

rb2.jpg

rb3.jpg

I know... these "technically" belong in the "outdoor cooking" section, but they ARE pork.. and you asked :)

Instead of brining, I would try adding fat to the loin some how, bacon, fatback, etc. Pork fat rules!

We are not real big on brining, we don't see the value added for the effort involved. Plus, we would never be able to brine 10-20 turkeys at holidays.

Chickens and turkeys have come out very juicey. And just a good old smoke flavored bird is very tastey.

We have even had a few judges tell us they would love to get some entries of just plain smoked chicken, no brined, no sauced, etc.

A lot of folk likes it, so your mileage may vary. :)

I like to give my pork loins a good coating of greek seasoning and put it in the oven wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes a pound at 350. Let it then sit for another 10 to 15 minutes still wrapped, but out of the oven. My brother says grilling it with this same seasoning is excellent as well. Can't vouch personally for that, but my bro is a great cook, so he probably is right.

If you are unsure as to how to cook a pork loin, experiment. Get some tenderloins, which are smaller and cheaper and play around with different things. If they don't work you aren't out much.

I have gone from barely knowing how to boil water to being a pretty good cook in a few years, simply from allowing myself the freedom to experiment. Do the same for yourself...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom