Pickled pigs feet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
The other day I had a hankering for some pickled pigs feet. We bought some at the La Michuacana Carneceria, but they don't really do it correctly. It is not cooked long enough and little or no seasoning is put in. I still enjoyed them. So now I am using my mother's old german recipe to make them. I did an internet search and found that the recipes are a little variable from country to country, but overall these treats appear in many places.

Some of the posts complained about the murky broth. Curiously, many people worry about the appearance of the dish. In Germany you do not concern yourself about how the food looks, only how it tastes, let the French worry about that.

My apologies. My remark was said with tongue in cheek. :chef:
No apologies are necessary. I knew you were saying that half in jest, half in Earnest (as my Mom used to say).

That's one of the reasons I don't care for white meat. It strikes me as being dry, regardless of how well it's cooked.

I don't think my saliva glands work as well as those of others. My food has to have gravy, sauce or juice of some sort on it, or I"ll smother it in ketchup or BBQ sauce.

Once it's nice and wet with something, it's much more enjoyable to me.

No apologies are necessary. I knew you were saying that half in jest, half in Earnest (as my Mom used to say).
That's one of the reasons I don't care for white meat. It strikes me as being dry, regardless of how well it's cooked.
I don't think my saliva glands work as well as those of others. My food has to have gravy, sauce or juice of some sort on it, or I"ll smother it in ketchup or BBQ sauce.

I am with you. That's why I love the good fond on the bottom of the pan. GRAVY! It is my drug of choice. :chef:

Funny........... My Mother was from Nieder Schlesien and always was a little suspicious of the french attitude toward food. However, she wasn't above pirating some of the french techniques if it suited her.
My Mums Austro/Hungarian they are suspicious of everyone;)

I am with you. That's why I love the good fond on the bottom of the pan. GRAVY! It is my drug of choice. :chef:

The first thing I look for in a meal is a gravy boat or dish of sauce. If one or the other is present, I know I"ll enjoy the meal.

A chicken breast all by itself, with plain potatoes and veggies with no sauce or topping makes me thirsty just looking at it. Eating it? Forgetaboutit!:LOL: Put some gravy on the chicken and taters, some cheese sauce on the veggies and I'm good to go!:yum::chef:

Ah, the infamous dry white meat problem. I had it solved for me by a very nice Jewish lady. She said, simply cook it breast down on the rack and the juices will run down into the breast rendering it moist, and to a certain extant even if it is over cooked. Try it, it works.

Ah, the infamous dry white meat problem. I had it solved for me by a very nice Jewish lady. She said, simply cook it breast down on the rack and the juices will run down into the breast rendering it moist, and to a certain extant even if it is over cooked. Try it, it works.

Thanks pmeheran, It's the type of meat, not the method of cooking it. White meat just tastes dry to me, regardless of how it's cooked. It's been that way since I was a child. With me, white meat equals gravy or sauce. That's the only cure for it.

Back
Top Bottom