Pickled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
I'm about to cook a leg of pickled pork that we bought for Christmas, better late than never, and instead of boiling it which is what we normally do I thought we should bake it for a change in the webber.
Somewhere someone made mention that they had done this and, because of the salt content in the pork, the crackling turned out super crackly. I also thought about that honey-mustard rub but wondered if it would hinder the pork rind from being crisp.
Any help or better ideas would be most welcome
Many thanks

Other than pickled pig's feet, I've never had pickled pork. I'm sure someone will come along with a few tips for you soon.

:) Barbara

Am also at a total loss here attie.

Hope you can help us out.

I did a bit of Googling before posting and found nothing helpful

I suspect it is just a difference in terminology.

The only thing I can come up with is it is what we here in the States call a country ham. It does stand up to boiling, but I don't do them that way.

But everything else sorta leads me to that conclusion.

Just a guess.

Pickled Pork is basically raw un-smoked ham. It has been pumped and brined as the first stage of making ham is. When cooked it hasn't the smoke flavour that ham has but it looks similar when sliced. We also do Ox or Sheep's tongue the same way. With those we peel them while still hot then compress them in a food press until they set

Sorry about the confusion

that`s sounds remakably like a Gammon joint, in which case a great way to cook it is to wash it 1`st then boil it in a large pot with Leeks and carrots and a t`spoon of mustard powder, some bay leaves.
boil it for about 2 hours.
then remove it and allow to cool, cut this thickly and put on fresh crusty bread with english mustard.
with the stock remove the bay leaves and any ppercorns you may have added, then throw in some potatoes and celery and make a soup/stew for next day, a little double cream added works great too.
although with the stock, that is entirely up to you what you use it for, just don`t add any salt :)

I've never heard the term you are using...I do know about pickled pigs feet but that is another subject...

YT I think gave you a good idea(s)...However since you wanted something a little different...Boil for a couple of hours...then put it on your webber with your favorite wood for smoke...use indirect heat. This however want produce a "crackly" skin...You might want to do a search of cooking "country hams" which is a type of dry cured ham hear in the US for ideas.....

Back
Top Bottom