Pink pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I made this tonight-

Molasses Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce Recipe - Pork - MyRecipes.com

I seared on a skillet and cooked it at 375 for 20 mins (I had only one .80 lb. tenderloin instead of three). After letting it rest, I cut into it and it was still pink-ish, almost dark red in color. Should I be concerned? I was not sure if the ingredients could have darkened it a little bit or something. My thermometer said 155 when I took it out but maybe it was not in the thickest part of the meat. Do you think there is much risk?

Well, personally I like my pork medium-medium well at the most. 155 with carry over cooking sounds ok in my book. Slaughter houses have REALLY cleaned up and the need for dry as leather pork is gone(imho).

I would not be too concerned, unless it was more like medium rare.

Yeah I just always worry that my thermometer is not in the right part and so it isn't an accurate reading. But a tenderloin isn't that big of a cut (at .80 lb. anyways)... so even if it wasn't in the thickest part it should not make a huge difference right?

But still in my experience pork should be white with a little pink and this was pretty dark. I don't know if the soy sauce or molasses in the marinade might've resulted in a darker color overall.

Always check the temperature in several spots to be sure you hit the right spot(s). If the thermometer showed 155 and it was red in the center, either the thermometer is defective or it was stuck into the wrong part of the meat.

Check the thermometer in boiling water and iced water to ensure the temps are accurate. Look for 212 F and 32 F.

Try to put the probe into the meat so the end is in the very center of the thickest part of the meat.

Pork is safe to eat at 137 F.

Andy, I am assuming the 137 F is for trichinosis, right? Is that the only risk from pork? I thought that you could also get salmonella from pork. Or is that not really a big concern.

Andy, I am assuming the 137 F is for trichinosis, right? Is that the only risk from pork? I thought that you could also get salmonella from pork. Or is that not really a big concern.

I have not heard of salmonella being a problem with pork.

The 137 F is for trich. Actually that is not really an issue either. Modern hogs are not raised in mud and their own waste anymore. Also, they are medicated to kill off any bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom