Pork Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Picked up a package at the store and instead of pork chops is pork bones. Any suggestions how I can use them? Always try to take my time when I shop. Sure!

I use them in a big batch of tomato sauce as a flavoring agent. Roast the bones for a hour to get them a nice deep brown and add them to a pot of tomato sauce before cooking. Let them simmer together for a couple of hours.

andy m, you took the words right out of my mouth. i use pork bones for red sauce for pasta... usually pork necks. i save porkchop bones in the freezer to use in my sauce, too.

I use it to make a base for Asian soups. Can also use it to make broth for wonton noodle soup.

cook with beans and bacon, onion and garlic and tomato paste, (salt pepper and a little thyme if you like) For a savory baked beans or a stew. Hot sauce of choice optional. serve over rice with greens and corn bread and you got a southern feast.

Just made a batch of something very similar to Robo410's recipe but made a stock with the bones first and then added peppers to his recipe. Oh yes, and added some pork. Added the veggies early and then tossed in some more peppers, onions, and tomato paste near the end of cooking to give it a fresh taste. Wow.

But also when we have pork bones we think of scrapple. Don't make it homemade much anymore as we live in scrapple country and can get a variety of commercial varieties locally.

But for many years we either made it ourselves or went without.

But it is so enjoyable for a Saturday or Sunday supper when the weather is getting cold.

Thanks

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to ask and receive so quickly to question I have. You all must be 'start from scratch' cooks. I did not know what to do with them and sure did not want to bring back to store. They do take the things back but since I have them I will put them to use. Scrapple is something a person doesn't see around here. Is it hard to make? I do remember my mother making it once in great while but not often. Is it hard to prepare? My mother had big family and she seldom wanted us in the kitchen when she was fixing some things. This was one of them. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom