Pork Chop and Home Fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Fried up a double dipped pork chop and some home fries. Added some lard & bacon grease to a pan I had just fried some hot Italian sausage in then discovered the only potatoes I had were little reds, oh well.

img_571242_0_05bf4bd321942e8726c71fa624d33b17.jpg

img_571242_1_8495bc1fe5f14b14eb61c85a7a8654d2.jpg

img_571242_2_d3ac1b09e76874d2d05b64e3d1db4808.jpg

img_571242_3_214ef8aeb93ef5f53c1069e44ecab2ee.jpg

img_571242_4_d1f8b0fce2bcef75fdb3f0f26b5709ff.jpg

Pork chop was slightly overcooked, tasty but not as moist as I like.

Looks great. (looks like your pan changed colors, too?)
I can't find those kind of pork chops around here anymore, the kind with two pieces of meat like a porterhouse. Not nearby anyway. I'm going to have to see if the place where I bought my chuck at will cut me some that way. Boy that looks good.

Agree pacanis, to me the best pork chops are those from the short loin, and at least 1 and 1/2 inches thick. I usually prefer the two inch size.

But we don't find them in the meat case.

Have found talking to the butcher often gets you what you want. They may have to order them, but in our experience those guys are more than happy to help.

If there is some way to cook a thin pork chop and make it taste good, no matter where it comes from the piggy, I don't know about it.

Aunt Dot, due to many kids, and limited financial resources, I have to buy thin-cut pork chops. I usually brine mine before cooking. I get to infuse the meat with herbal flavors that way as well (garlic, thyme, rosemary, pepper, onion). I've found the a quick sear in a screaming hot skillet (windows open and home exhaust fan ON), then into a casserole or baking pan, covered in onions and mushrooms sauteed in that same screaming hot pan, then followed by thickened pork stock that's deglazed that screaming hot pan, and baked for 45 minutes or so helps tremendously. I've also gotten adept at grilling the, but being so thin, it only takes a few minutes.

John A, what is a metal fork doing that close to your nice non-stick pan! Shame! SHAME!:wacko: Don't feel bad, I've done it a time or two myself. My wife is really bad about it.

Yummy that looks really good.
I could eat fried potatoes every day.
Pork chops probably every other. :)

it looks like a vampire took the first bite.

i knew vampires weren't jewish...

pacanis, they don't sell anything but rib chops near you? that sucks. i prefer loin chops, while dw alwas prefers the rib. same goes for lamb.

When I do see loin chops they are extremely thin, maybe a 1/4" if that. They are not in the meat case like they used to be for some reason, but I no longer live near the grocery stores or butcher I used to shop at either.... I figured they (Giant Eagle) were using the "medallion (?)" for other things. Tenderloins maybe? I'm trying to transfer what little I know about beef to swine :wacko:

Aunt Dot, due to many kids, and limited financial resources, I have to buy thin-cut pork chops. I usually brine mine before cooking. I get to infuse the meat with herbal flavors that way as well (garlic, thyme, rosemary, pepper, onion). I've found the a quick sear in a screaming hot skillet (windows open and home exhaust fan ON), then into a casserole or baking pan, covered in onions and mushrooms sauteed in that same screaming hot pan, then followed by thickened pork stock that's deglazed that screaming hot pan, and baked for 45 minutes or so helps tremendously. I've also gotten adept at grilling the, but being so thin, it only takes a few minutes.

John A, what is a metal fork doing that close to your nice non-stick pan! Shame! SHAME!:wacko: Don't feel bad, I've done it a time or two myself. My wife is really bad about it.

That's a great way to do pork chops. If I do not have time to brine I'll hit them with a Jaccard tenderizer, dip in flour, then milk or eggwash, then flour or bread crumbs, and refrigerate for a few minutes.

LOL, I always use forks with those pans, never scratched one yet.

Don't look now JoAnn. Pork chops simmered in Golden Mushroom soup for 1.5 hours then rice, peppers, and onions added for 30 minutes.

img_577893_0_498d19e574b521e35b9fe2e55450bd8f.jpg

img_577893_1_00490c4c70e2b7693d4f0dc7a66db480.jpg

Back
Top Bottom