Pork chop too tough and dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason it is dry and tough is because it was overcooked. Cook it less next time and you should be fine. Try lowering the heat or cooking for less time or both. Brining pork is a great way to get some wiggle room too. That will give you a more tender juicier chop even if you overcook it a bit.

Dry and tough = overcooked.

You could consider brining pork chops to lock in moisture and provide a little flavor. But most of all, do not overcook. NEVER cut a piece of meat to see if it's done. That allows the internal juices to run out. If you have an instant read thermometer, cook the pork to an internal temperature of 145º F. That's all it takes. Remove the chops to a plate and let them rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting.

is it true that pork tenderloin doesn't brown as easily as pork chop?

anybody notices this?

is it true that pork tenderloin doesn't brown as easily as pork chop?

anybody notices this?

Pork tenderloin browns just as easily as a pork chop. Be sure your meat is has been dried off. Wet meat steams rather than browns.

Yes, your pork chop was cooked too long. I cook mine to only 140 (degrees F.) It will continue to cook as you let it rest 5-10 minutes before serving.

Barely brown the pork chops on both sides, remove from the pan, wipe out the pan with paper towels, pour in one can of Bush's Homestyle beans, add the pork chops, add one bean can of water, and simmer on medium until a thick sauce is formed. My mother said no one could ever make a tough pork chop using this method.

Yup, overcooked.
You could add a little broth after the first flip and put a lid on it. This will steam them a bit, but if you don't watch it you can overcook them this way, too.

Nothing to add to what everyone has said about why your pork chops are too dry. But I do have other options to help make it moist and tender.

When you purchase pork, just as when you look for beef, choose product that is well marble with specks of fat. This fat adds moist mouth feel, and helps to make the meat more tender. It also adds flavor. If you can't find well marbled pork, before starting to cook the chops, insert slivers of bacon or side pork fat in little slits you make with the point of a paring knife, all over the pork chop. The little strips of fat are called lardoons and have been used, especially by French chefs for ages to enhance the pallatability of various cuts of meat & poultry. Then lightly salt and pan fry until the meat reaches 140 to 145' F with an instant read thermometer. As was stated above, brining will add moisture to the meat as well. So will soaking the chops in milk. The milk also has enzymes in it that will help tenderize the meat. The flavor of the pork is unchanged after marinating in milk.

Another technique is to dip the pork chops in egg wash, then flour, then egg wash, and finally in bread crumbs. Bake on a cookie sheet for 40 minutes at 350' F. The chops will be flavorful, juicy and tender. Plus, you can season the breadcrumbs according to your favorite herb/spice flavors.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed if the North

I just cheat it,cut off the fat and put it on an oven tray under a hot grill with salt and pepper to make the crackling. Then season your pork as desired and fry it on high with a bit of olive oil and butter till just cooked through. The butter keeps it moist and adds loads of flavour. You can also marinade your chops if you do it like this and still have crispy crackling without sacrificing the moisture in your chops.

Dry and tough = overcooked.

If you have an instant read thermometer, cook the pork to an internal temperature of 145º F. That's all it takes. Remove the chops to a plate and let them rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting.

Absolutely the best advice I could give, you've just said.

I use an "Oregon Scientific" remote temp gauge for all my meat cooking. It has a probe that can be inserted into the meat when raw and just leave in while it cooks. When the meat reaches 10 degrees below set-point, the alarm on the remote readout goes off.

It can also be used to spot check other items by holding it in your hand for a few seconds.

The meat will come out perfect every single time when you use it.

You set it for the type of meat and the doneness you desire.

You can see in the photo that it's "BEEF" set to finish at 135F and it's currently at 73F. It can also be set to use degrees Centigrade

Here it is:

Attachments

• OregonScientific-AW129.jpg
    OregonScientific-AW129.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom